Discuss Removing Black Grout Stains? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

gooty

After using black grout on my beige porcelain matt tiles, it's left stains that won't come off with water on a kitchen sponge scrubber.
Is there a correct way/product to do this?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Use either of the above , pre wet the joints with water before you apply the diluted product to the tile, this will minimise the acid damaging the grout joint colour, always test one tile to determine the dilution of the product required ,work in small sections. Flash clean the tiles, 1-2 minutes - or test longer , bottles will often state to use for 10-12 minute, use a white pad or stiff brush ,rinse well after application time.

G

gooty

thanks guys, but ive just stumbled on an easy and cheap way to get rid of it.
Astonish oven cleaner from home bargains. Under £2. Dipped wet cloth in the tub and the back grout stain comes off really easy :))))

Reaction score
try diluted white vinegar 60p from tesco. or neat if you test it on the grout first. i had charcoal grout residue stuck in textured non slip porcelain. white vinegar, left it 10 minutes. scrub with scourer, clean residue off with wonderwipe.

O

ogy

i'm using black grout to match the tile..but the stain on the tile won't come out after scrubbing. i try out the vinegar tip but isnt working.please do advise?

IMG_20170225_154855.jpg

P

Pro Tiler Tools

Astonish oven cleaner from home bargains. Under £2. Dipped wet cloth in the tub and the back grout stain comes off really easy :))))
Astonish is amazing stuff, we found that their high strength bathroom cleaner even removes the black mould from silicone.

P

Peetee

Belter tip, works like a charm

B

Blue Smurf

Gooty Did astonish work in the end I have white porcelain tiles and black grout that has black staining can you please advise

S

Speedy

Gooty.... I would like to say a huge thankyou 😘😘 I stumbled across this forum & your post after praying for an answer to black stain grout removal, I had already used all the expensive stain removers without success and as this was a clients bathroom project you can imagine the stress of the thought of having to replace a couple of really bad ones 😢 I cannot believe the results and with very little effort. Lol... hopefully the tiles are still as I left them when I return ie the pattern hasn't disappeared 🤣🤣 big thanks Speedy.xx

A

Acuna time

If this works ill owe you big!! We're working with porcelain that even the pencil wouldn't come off of.

J

Joe1664

I had the same issue with black grout. I had black and white matt porcelain tiles installed in my garage by a builder (so they probably didn't know all the tricks of the trade or what was instore). They spent days cleaning the tiles with vinegar but they still didn't look great. By the end they looked ok but they weren't really that clean and I wasn't even sure what was left on them. I couldn't bring myself to move things back into the garage until I'd had a go at cleaning them. I used Astonish oven and cookware cleaner and it cut through everything. The results are spectacular. Great recommendation and great results.

Reply to Removing Black Grout Stains? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks