Discuss Removing adhesive from marble shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

WetSaw

I'm changing a shower cubicle and the old one had been bedded to the tray with adhesive. I've scraped a lot off but it's still not smooth enough. Obviously I can't use anything acid based to clean it up so is it a case of sand and polish after? 20180505_160729.jpg 20180505_160722.jpg

O

Old Mod

Depends how deep stain has penetrated Paul, sanding top may not be enough, may need to deal with staining.
You could always try a strong bleach.
Give a good heavy covering and cover with a plastic sheet and press it on.
Works a bit like a poultice.
You can actually try a proper poultice, dredging memory banks here, mix baking soda and water to thick paste and apply, leave up to 48hrs. Wetting area first.
That’s if you can’t find an actual poultice paste locally.

W

WetSaw

Thanks Marc but it was more the remnants of adhesive rather than the staining that I need to get rid of. With a bit of jiggling the new profile will cover the staining but I need to get the surface of the tray flat again.
I've also no idea why those gaps are in the bottom tiles on each side..

O

Old Mod

If you wanted to try an acid, what about masking up around the adhesive and applying it by brush carefully. You’d just have to keep a close eye on it, water at ready to neutralise.
Or just get the polisher out :)

O

Old Mod

Those slots, not a space for some kind of key stone to hold something?
Looks like a gravel board slot! :p

O

Old Mod

Not at top of wall too are they.
Something certainly appears to have been stuck there.

Reply to Removing adhesive from marble shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks