Discuss Raimondi GS86 Wet saw review in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

One Day

I finally bought one and I've been looking at them for years.
You see; I like tools and especially really nice, well made tools.
But I didn't think that I could justify spending the best part of £1000 on what effectively appeared to be just a small table top wet saw.

So for the past several years I have had a Norton TT200EM saw which if I am honest, stayed in the garage gathering dust and rust.

The Norton (and Plasplugs Mastertiler before it) simply wasn't accurate or powerful enough and because I needed a wet saw mainly for cuts which my grinders can't make - i.e. around window reveals and niches where edge quality is absolutely critical, I found that my wet saws suffer from WAY too much blade wobble which no matter how good the blade, leads to chipped edges every single time.

So after using my grinder recently for trimming up some split face slate strips, and in the process nearly taking the end of my finger off, I decided that it was time to invest.

Plus, it's getting wet, dark and cold outside so nipping out to use the grinder was becoming a pain.

I called Jim at Tilerstools.co.uk and had it dropped of next day (nice service Jim!)

It's a surprisingly small and even more surprisingly heavy box.

Measures 450x450x300mm and weighs about 25kg.

20171031_091649.jpg

Out of the box, it is encased in a very tough plastic shell with stainless steel clips keeping both halves joined securely.

It is made seemingly entirely from very heavy gauge stainless steel - looks to be about 2.5mm thick - hence the weight.

20171031_091539.jpg
20171031_091555.jpg

20171031_091543.jpg 20171031_091606.jpg 20171031_091834.jpg 20171031_091848.jpg 20171031_091940.jpg 20171031_092845.jpg 20171031_102839.jpg

Unlike most (all?) other small saws, this one has a pump for the water:

20171031_091543.jpg

and a wheel to adjust the flow rate from raging flood to zero.
(a very nice feature if you want to dry-cut)
The only spray is from the front and less than from the Norton.
There is a little spray at the back, but it's easily blocked by a piece of wedi board.

Next picture shows the rear:

20171031_091606.jpg

The arm holds the blade cover and is really easy to swing out of the way, adjust height, even remove if you want to use this completely dry (which is one of it's appeals for me).

With position 2 - the bed is flat, as normal but with position 1 - the bed springs up, just above the blade and then can be pushed down, allowing you to do cut outs with great precision. Forgot your hole saws? This will get you by!

20171031_091834.jpg

On the right you can see the sanding wheel which is covered by a quick release plate. Takes velcro/fleece discs and is an easy way to get an edge like this in seconds:

20171031_091940.jpg

20171031_102839.jpg

The GS86 comes with a Raimondi turbo blade which is good and fast, but I will be fitting a continuous rim blade for porcelain. I think the turbo blade is a little "chippy" - although it still leaves a brilliant edge compared to what I am used to.

The motor is only rated low at 0.9hp, but honestly it is a beast. Very very powerful. It is belt-driven which I guess means extra speed, Spins at 7000rpm, and stops as if on a brake.

Belt-driven also means that the factory adjust and calibrate the spindle for absolutely zero wobble.

Also, in position 1 the bed raised, you can open up the side cover and expose the bottom of the blade for mitres.

20171031_091848.jpg

I've not had chance to have a play with this bit yet, but it looks as if it will work well, perhaps only with smallish tiles though? I'll report back...

So conclusions:
Yes, it's expensive. Can I justify it?
If it makes me work faster, and makes my work better, then I'll make more money.
I already think that for maybe half my work this will be in constant use.
I also realise that if I actually had badly injured my fingers by using the grinder for a wet-saw job, then a week or more off work is more than the cost of this! Strange logic perhaps but that's me.

With this little saw I doubt I will need my DeWalt any more.
It's small enough to keep in the van. It needs minimal cleaning and packing away and is very definitely built to last.

I can rip through 1m long planks if I needed to, or mitre crackle-glazed metros.
I can cut holes, and polish edges. I can even remove the arm and use dry if needed.
It's very small, but has the capabilities of a much larger saw.

The one weakness I can see, and it's not a deal breaker - is the small scale could get in the way of larger tiles being cut - much like the old DeWalt arm issue. Only this one can be used with the cover arm removed.

I also realise now why I have never seen one for sale on ebay. They really last and once you've bought it, you'll use it - a lot.

Any questions - I'll try and answer, but bear in mind I'm only a few days into using it...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

GoneGuy

Awesome review, be nice to have a little follow up review and pics after a month of use

OP
R

Rookery

Great review of what looks like a well thought out and built machine. Hopefully it will go to prove you'll be more productive and produce better quality work with superior equipment.

OP
O

One Day

Great review of what looks like a well thought out and built machine. Hopefully it will go to prove you'll be more productive and produce better quality work with superior equipment.

I suppose like Chuck Berry could make a great song on any old guitar, he'd still prefer to play on that Gibson instead of an old shonky one with worn out frets!
It's a nice-to-have rather than a must-have, but I reckon I'll use it a lot now...

OP
K

Kris K

I realize this review is from a few years ago. Very helpful. Hows the saw holding up? Still in action?

Reply to Raimondi GS86 Wet saw review in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer