Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

3. Underfloor Heating by uHeat

Discuss (Quite a) Few questions and anyone local for a quote :-) in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. widler

widler Professional Tiler

I know, its a fad is matting , like that flossing dance kids do, be forgot about soon :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mr Andrew Grogan

Mr Andrew Grogan AndyG

Thanks again for all the replies.

So looks like definitely screed the mat in. Probably not tiling under the kitchen units @3_fall@3_fall, but probably will be under the island (but not heating under there I guess). Is the screed thick enough that it won't run off the matt and under the kitchen units where there is no insulation? (never had experience with it before so don't know if that is a dumb question).

Was there any recommendations on the tape between insulating boards, needed or not?

Is the WarmFloor Elektra range seen as decent on these forums? Obviously, they seem well priced when comparing to the quotes I've been given from the various tile outlets.

One last thing was what do people do where the tiled area meets a carpet? Given there will be quite a height difference, do they create a slope in the carpeted area to make the drop between rooms smaller, therefore allowing for a tile to carpet door trim to be used or similar?

I have a few additional people coming out to quote for the work (one from here) so I'll hopefully get any further queries answered then :)

3. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

You shouldn’t fit heating under any permanent floor standing units or sanitary ware, it should be a minimum of 50-60mm away from skirting or heat source, (radiator pipe)
    Form some kind of dam at the edges where you want to avoid the slc from running over.
    You can use something as simple as a line of sand or even any excess slc powder, or use silicone to fix a small wooden baton (door stop) around edges, or even thin off cuts of insulation board.
    Scrim tape for boards should be alkali free.
    You can use slc beneath carpet area by door to provide gentle slope and/or use tile trim to make the transition between tile and carpet.
    Carpet and underlay normally totals 20mm + so the difference may not be as bad as you expect.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

As above but find expanding really easy to form a dam just squirt a line on the ground behind kitchen legs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adey1980

Adey1980 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Same I find expanding foam quicker and easier

6. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I prefer something neat and tidy and that doesn’t tear up the board face. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andystiletiling

Andystiletiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

I use one inch strips of insulation board stuck with a glue gun, use it also it to set my heights for 6mm of slc over wires..

• Like Like x 2
  8. jcrtiling

You be seen pics of my van . I don't like anything tidy

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jcrtiling

Actually glad you worked it out as I never used the word foam

10. Waluigi

Waluigi Top Contributor

sharp sand works surprisingly well. Usually better to have a wet bag. Then hoover up when it’s bone dry.

11. 3_fall

I have my moments Jerry. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boggs

Boggs Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Like this

8245C928-6B1F-4CE4-A5B5-B2D77DCE4CEC.jpeg