Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Question regarding quotation in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

A J

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

New here although have been following the odd thread or two on and off.
I have a strange initial question and I am hoping to get some advice. Before I knew about this forum, I contacted about 20 odd tilers from CaT and pretty much 0 got back to me.
So I jumped onto Rated and MyBuilder and got a couple of interested tilers.

One has now quoted but I have no idea if it is a good or bad quote - obviously if I had a few quotes I could compare.
The job is not huge which is part of the issue I think.
It's essentially tile the bathside and either side of the bath tub wall (small) as the developers only half-tiled it making it unusable.
Rough dimensions of area to be tiled:
Along bath: 120cm
Along wall: 70cm
Along Opp wall: 90cm
From current trim to ceiling (area required to tile): 120cm
Tile size: 31.6 x 59.2cm

Being a new build, the walls are pretty much prepped and ready to go as the bathroom has not been used due to the half-tile issue.

What should I be expecting roughly for this as a quotation in the GU (Surrey) area? Tiles and grout is supplied so its just the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and trim

I will list the job on here too but I think I will have issues with timing for next week installation.

I found a few threads with rough sq/m costs but I am unsure how to even calculate the sq/m requires tile with the above measurements.
Thanks in advance
AJ

OP
W

Waluigi

My neck of the woods- GU !

It really depends on the prep work before tile.

We can’t discuss prices in the open forum here I’m afraid.

OP
T

The Tiler

hi
sounds like a days pay plus a bag of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
as above all depends on the prep that has to be down.
are the walls painted?
is it going to have a shower over the bath?

OP
A

A J

Ah - I did think potentially it might be a slightly gray area in terms of pricing although I suppose all I would be after is what to expect on a rough scale even if it was a lower/upper scale.

I have now listed it on here too so lets see :)

On the note about prep - the bathroom is just over 3 years old as part of a new build we purchased.
It's never been used and so the walls are as they were from day 1 - ie: straight, plastered and a coat of emulsion I think?
There is a shower already bolted to the one of the existing tiles and it can remain there post-tile.

OP
W

Waluigi

Keep in mind that anyone who does the work won’t be able to guarantee the bottom section of tiles.

It’s highly unlikely that this area was tanked.

Regarding the work- the paint would need to be removed, the trim cut off, the area to be tanked and then the work done. Surrey prices, you would probably get £400 change from your grand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Someone’s after the job ☝️ :D

OP
A

A J

Perfect - I had no idea about the paint and in actual fact thought it was a good thing to have it as a base!
So on that note, removal of paint was not mentioned at all in the quote I got earlier which now worries me and pretty much answers the question I had at the back of mind.

In terms of cost, you are actually bang on the penny for the quote I got but as mentioned, has nothing about the paint issue.

This helps a lot and so I will wait and see what comes up on the Tiler request forum for the job - and this does include you Waluigi if you are after it ;)

OP
W

Waluigi

Nah, I couldn’t put my name to half a job. Plus I am washing my hair next week :D

OP
A

A J

You could wash your hair in the brand new 3 year old bath tub we're unable to use due to the lack of tile- no charge :)

Reply to Question regarding quotation in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock