Discuss question about mesh v's ditra in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

Sorry I am definitely not trying to justify the builders work. I am just quoting from b and q website to provide more details on osb. Thanks so much for trying to help!
I don't have more photos tonight, can get more tomorrow. There is grey flexible adhesive under that tile, builder says he is using extra adhesive because of mesh. Thanks so much for all the comments and help so far!
Would advise stop all works on tiling and boarding till sorted out!

O

Old Mod

I can't quote BS 5385, but to the best of my knowledge, osb/sterling board is not a suitable material to tile to, for that matter, no timber is.
It is too susceptible to external forces like heat/cold and moisture, even more so with a particle board.
And I certainly wouldn't swear by any technical description from B&Q/Trade-Point web site. They are two of the worst sites imaginable.
If your architect has spec'd 'Hardboard' technically that is also incorrect.
It would depend on his definition, it's ambiguous at best.
There are so many better options out there.
And tbh, if this mesh is as good or better than Ditra 25, why aren't we all using it?
Yes in certain circumstances it can add stability to a surface, but it is NOT a decoupling membrane, as was stated on your spec.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few failures tiling onto OSB along with other types of timber. Agree completely with Antonio after looking at the accompanying video, maybe cheaper for the material but it's certainly more labour intensive, also not a decoupler. I would steer well clear!!!

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMO....OSB Board is primaraly used for flat roofs or sheds which are felted etc afterwards...not really a suitable substrate for tiling on.... But if you are accepting the B&Q description ... Then you absolutely should screw it down..6" centres ..... Over laying with a de coupling Mat as described before( Ditra, Bal...etc)
Your architect should be aware of the correct products ... and procedures... (as should your builder).....although he/she stating "Hardboard" would concern me..
Don't proceed and take heed of all the advice that is available to you on this site ..... It will save you Money and stress in the long run ....Hope all goes well...:sunglasses:

O

One Day

OSB is used routinely in the states but it's massively better even than our osb3.
Personally I wouldn't fix anything to uk grade osb. I even have my doubts too as to wbp ply.

Reply to question about mesh v's ditra in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks