Discuss Quarry tiles on quarry tiles for hearth in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

ameisted

Hi
I'm Alex. Amateur working on my old house.
I'm getting a stove installed in a room with an open fireplace.
The stove can sit on a hearth of 12mm. The room is already covered in historic quarry tiles. They've never been sealed.

I figured I'd use a second layer of 12mm quarry tiles on top to define the required hearth area.
How do I prepare the current layer of tiles? What type of adhesive is best for the job? And grout? I think I'll leave the edge of the hearth tiles visible so I'll try to get the grout neat at the edges (fit some batten around the edges while I'm dong it?)
Thanks a lot,
Alex

IMG_20181003_232352.jpg

B

Bill

Give the existing tiles a good clean and scrub, leave to dry and then prime with an acrylic primer.

Fix using a quality S1 type adhesive then grout. Almost any floor grout will be OK.

G

GoneGuy

Hi
I'm Alex. Amateur working on my old house.
I'm getting a stove installed in a room with an open fireplace.
The stove can sit on a hearth of 12mm. The room is already covered in historic quarry tiles. They've never been sealed.

I figured I'd use a second layer of 12mm quarry tiles on top to define the required hearth area.
How do I prepare the current layer of tiles? What type of adhesive is best for the job? And grout? I think I'll leave the edge of the hearth tiles visible so I'll try to get the grout neat at the edges (fit some batten around the edges while I'm dong it?)
Thanks a lot,
Alex

View attachment 101298
Could you not get quarry tiles with a bevel edge to give it a better look

P

Perry

Hi they look terracotta not quarry tiles, so they would probably have been sealed.

Reply to Quarry tiles on quarry tiles for hearth in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks