Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Quarry tile staining

Discussion in 'Tiling Forum' started by Nada, Oct 12, 2018.

Discuss Quarry tile staining in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Nada

Nada Member of Tilers Forums

Hi.. Just purchased a Victorian house, has quarry tiles in the entire basement. I initially thought I would have it tiled over completely as though they are in good condition, I'm not crazy about the tan/terracotta-y colour. Someone has suggested I stain them with a concrete stain then seal them. He says they would need to be etched first to allow them to take the stain. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have looked online extensively and can see that type of treatment working for Saltillo tiles but Quarry is supposed to be non-porous although there are various marks and stains on these and any glaze they may have had is long gone...

2. timeless john

timeless john Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Try cleaning them with nitromorse on an inconspicuous area. Let them thoroughly dry and seal with a dilute linseed oil.
    This is a brief statement of what could be done but there is usually more involved.
    As you stated they should be fairly impervious so any stain will lie on the surface and look patchy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Saltillo are not what I would call quarry tiles . They are porous clay traditionally sealed with a mixture boiled linseed oil and white spirit and then waxed .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nada

Thank you... I found a cleaner called Nitromors in a green container. It says nothing about applying to tile, but is described as a paint remover... Is it the right product and should I scrub this onto the tiles?

5. jcrtiling

Might be a good idea to wear a chemical mask as it can make your eyes water a bit . How large is your area . Make sure it is well ventilated . Are you cleaning the whole floor or just spot cleaning .

6. timeless john

timeless john Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

@Nada@Nada - try on an inconspicuous area 1st.

7. Nada

Thanks. It's a large area - 3 rooms in the basement. I will try a less noticeable area first and see how it goes...

8. jcrtiling

Are you cleaning the whole floor or spot cleaning

9. Nada

I need to do the whole floor, it totals about 30 square metres for all 3 rooms. I have purchased samples of the stain to see if they will work, but if not I will have to deep clean and possibly use linseed oil as recommended.

10. jcrtiling

I think there could be health issues using nitromors on such a large area @Lithofin BOB@Lithofin BOB should be able to confirm wether this right or wrong .

11. timeless john

Yes definitely well ventilated and air flow required on such a large area!!

12. Nada

I won't do the whole area at once because it's 3 separate rooms- utility room is first to see how it turns out, if the stain is horrendous then it won't matter so much in that room. But I will make sure is well ventilated... thanks guys x