Discuss Priming Walls before Tiling - HOW? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

I have a full kitchen to tile, I have stripped everything back, fixed all the holes,and removed anything that flakes and all the other crap and leveled mostly everything + Have Sanded every crap from the walls off to make a good base. However the wall is dusty now from sanding which I feel wouldn't be the perfect combo with tile adhesive.

How do you prime a wall before tiling? Or do you even prime it? I remember last time I tiled it was in bathroom and I tiled over mostly the blue tanking stuff+ the rest of the walls I just keyed in to get more grip and it was ok.
I already searched on the internet,however there are lots of mixed feedback, some say just pva,some say avoid pva, some say use what the tile adhesive suggests ( pva...) ,and than there are one person who has gone all over the internet and posted/Spammed in tons of places that how he is some kind of PRO and that he must give guarantees for his work so he uses some special kind of expensive primer (cough...snake oil promoter...cough..)

The tiles are heavy travertine+ marble in some places. was thinking about just keying the walls again and priming with a bit of pva or wallpaper adhesive.

Pic of the walls:

0ITnZ8u.jpg

Q

Qwerty

PVA is a massive no no

You must prime gypsum plaster with an acrylic primer or SBR primer, however you state that you are planning on fixing natural stone which exceeds the weight limit for skimmed plaster. You will need to either remove the plaster / render to block/ brick and/ or fix tile backer board and tile onto this.

Have you considered contacting a professional tiler to quote for the work required?

G

GoneGuy

First of all don’t use pva, use a primer that adhesive manufacturer recommends for example if you use Mapei adhesive use Mapei primer, if not use sbr.
Also you said that you at fixing heavy travertine tiles so what is the substrate??

G

GoneGuy

PVA is a massive no no

You must prime gypsum plaster with an acrylic primer or SBR primer, however you state that you are planning on fixing natural stone which exceeds the weight limit for skimmed plaster. You will need to either remove the plaster / render to block/ brick and/ or fix tile backer board and tile onto this.

Have you considered contacting a professional tiler to quote for the work required?
Beat me to it

W

WetSaw

I don't believe any adhesive manufacturer advises using PVA. Use the same brand of primer ( or snake oil ) as the adhesive you intend to use.

F

Flintstone

Is this your house or a customer? Are they 4 inch travertine kitchen tiles or a large bathroom type of tile ?

W

wau5

PVA is a massive no no

oh dude no I'm not a women, I don't want to ask someone to do a job for me which I can do myself to my liking, already got all the tools and everything needed myself.

Q

Qwerty

oh dude no I'm not a women, I don't want to ask someone to do a job for me which I can do myself to my liking, already got all the tools and everything needed myself.

Choose your words wisely ...... we have many top tilers that are women here, including the latest TTA tile fixer of the year!

Getting a pro in is no reflection of anything other than your respect for the skills of the trade and desire for a top notch job.

Reply to Priming Walls before Tiling - HOW? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks