Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Priming block wall before sticking Marmox? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. LEH

LEH Active Member

I was going to fix backerboards with a continuous bed of adhesive (presuming they're not too squiffy), or dot-and-dab plus fixings if they look nasty. The wall is a standard thermalite type block thing. Might be a silly question but do I need to prime the wall or is the adhesive all right to go straight onto it?

2. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

I would prime every time . Also i would prime Marmox boarding even though some people will say you don't need to doesn't mean you can't. Belt and braces . I would also use mechanical fixings no matter how good or bad the walls are .

3. LEH

LEH Active Member

Yeah I think I agree on mechanical fixings. Would Mapei Primer G be OK for blockwork?

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Professional Tiler

5. LEH

LEH Active Member

Yeah, had already read those. Highly doubt in top knick so will do as you say. Was just wondering if you could put adhesive straight onto the blocks, which is what they seem to imply in the instructions.

6. Paul C.

Paul C. Professional Tiler

Ahhhh.... priming. Missed that bit even though its the title of the thread. DOH! Sorry, typical Monday and brain slightly mashed. But yeah, blocks are porous as hell, so best to prime. Primer G will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bond

Bond Active Member

Thermalite blocks are a extremely high suction background, would dampen blocks first with water, prior to applying at least two coats of dilute SBR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris Gibbs

Chris Gibbs Professional Tiler

prime, prime and prime again they will suck the life out of the adhesive. oh and screw too. don't just rely on sticking with adhesive though.

9. Bond

Bond Active Member

If also screwing boards, check on there suitability for use on thermalite, don't take standard screws to well.

10. LEH

LEH Active Member

Cheers guys. I should be careful throwing terms around, not sure it's thermalite. It's early 70s so might be the older breeze block type, I'm not an expert on construction. I suppose that doesn't make too much difference though so I'll be sure to prime and make sure it's well fixed.