Discuss Preping kitchen wall for tiling in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Amos_38

TF
Reaction score
hi all,
Some advice would be helpful, please :)

Currently taking old tiles off kitchen walls. Please see picture of the condition behind the tiles after taking them off.

Question is how do I go about preping the wall in order for me to re tile it? Eg method, good pre made adhesive, replaster, fill in the holes etc.

It looks like plaster behind the tiles and then the wall is some sort of cement?

Very new to diy but willing to give this project a go.

Thanks in advance.

0AAE1595-F565-4CC7-8F3D-83DCDCBCA045.jpeg 4016482E-832C-49F2-A7BE-C6BB3A4A9FF5.jpeg

W

White Room

Are you stripping all the mosaic off the walls and if so what tiles will you be replacing them with.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Strip off the rest of the tiles, scrape off the old adhesive, prime, then replaster with one coat plaster, wait for it to dry then re-tile, .......if you want to use a tubbed adhesive, go to you local tile Shop for advice, and try to avoid the diy sheds, and avoid any adhesive that says it's a grout aswell as an adhesive..

Reaction score
Another method would be to use powdered adhesive to repair the wall as when the adhesive is dry you can add more if there are lows in the wall or rub off any high spots with a stone(used to sharpen wood chisels etc)

Reply to Preping kitchen wall for tiling in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks