Discuss Preparation for shower tiling in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Ollywest

Hi all
I have a new build extension and the bathroom has been lined with green plasterboard then skimmed by the builder, looking for any advice on preparation for tiling a shower area? Seems it would have been better for it not to have been skimmed, can the plaster be tanked or primed, or overboarded with hardie-backer? Tiles will be 30 x 90cm ceramic.
Any advice welcome.

W

Waluigi

Remember- MR plasterboard shouldn’t really be skimmed unless prepped with thistle bond it.

If the tiles are too heavy the walls shouldn’t be tiled and instead taken down or overboarded with a suitable tile backer board.

Keep in mind the minimum/maximum compensation of any potential shower screen if overboarding.

T

Time's Ran Out

1) are you sure they are 30x90cm CERAMIC?
2) even if you tank the skimmed plasterboard it will not take the weight of tiles of that size - in line with B.S. - it is still only 23kg per metre sq.
3) best option is as above. Get back to studs and use waterproof boards such as Wedi or similar, tape all joins.
Good luck and enjoy the forum.

O

Ollywest

2) even if you tank the skimmed plasterboard it will not take the weight of tiles of that size - in line with B.S. - it is still only 23kg per metre sq.
3) best option is as above. Get back to studs and use waterproof boards such as Wedi or similar, tape all joins.
Good luck and enjoy the forum.

O

Ollywest

The tiles are called Boston grey and 10mm thick, I'm told they are ceramic but could be porcelain. Shower is 1400 x 900. I could remove the plaster board back to stud and replace with 12.5mm cement board?

O

Ollywest

Just checked prices and Jackoboard seems a lot cheaper than Wedi is there much difference?

W

Waluigi

No. Very similar.

Keep in mind that you need much tighter stud spacing when using a foam board. For arguments sake if the board is 600mm wide, you’ll need 300mm centres.

And of course all joints, abutments and screw/washer holes need tanking.

T

Time's Ran Out

As above but no tanking coat required just all corners+!
Cuts with a knife.
Light to handle.
Cost effective!

Mapei UK Marketing

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a new build extension and the bathroom has been lined with green plasterboard then skimmed by the builder, looking for any advice on preparation for tiling a shower area? Seems it would have been better for it not to have been skimmed, can the plaster be tanked or primed, or overboarded with hardie-backer? Tiles will be 30 x 90cm ceramic.
Any advice welcome.

"We would advise that best practice would be to tank the plaster using a tanking system such as Mapei Aquadefense incorporating Mapei Mapeband. However the plaster must be finishing plaster and completely dry.

The maximum recommended weight limit for finishing plaster is 20kg/m², therefore to direct tile to this you wouldn’t want the weight of the intended tiles to exceed 16kg/m².

To install heavier tiles in this type of application it would be advisable to mechanically fix tile backer boards and tank these to receive the tile."

B

Bill

I have recently fixed 900x300 ceramics.....

20181010_160803.jpg

Reply to Preparation for shower tiling in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks