Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Preparation for Mosaics on floor in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. JaydoubleU

JaydoubleU New to TilersForums.co.uk

Hi all,

After some advice. I’m tiling a 4m floor in 1 inch hexagon mosaics. The floor is green chipboard which is pretty secure but I would always use ditramat 25 on it prior to fixing but Schlüter have said not to fix anything under 50mm on to ditra 25. Anyone had the same issue? It’s not the sort of job I fancy doing twice!

Cheers for any help.

2. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Correctly over board floor with a tile backer board or grip prime and fibre leveler.
    Are you restricted for height?
    What’s the useage of the floor to be?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JaydoubleU

Cheers Lee, floor is a customers ensuite. The floor height is definitely degotiable.

4. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

As above overboard with something like hardie backer but you may want to skim it over with a smoothing compound after to get it perfectly smooth to recieve mosaics

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  5. Adey1980

Adey1980 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Hardie Backer flies and screwed and then go over with a feather edge smoothing compound to fill any little gaps such as screw heads etc

6. Tile Fix Direct

Tile Fix Direct Julian at TileFix Direct TF Official Sponsor

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Definitely wouldn't recommend orbry, wedi, marmox etc for small mosaics. Point loading would be too much and the board could compress.
    Result would be a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JaydoubleU

Thanks to you all. Seems to be that hardie backer board with a skim of levelling compound sounds favourite then.

Cheers for the help.

9. Tile Fix Direct

Tile Fix Direct Julian at TileFix Direct TF Official Sponsor

50mm and larger are fine, smaller is the problem. Oops! I thought the customer said 50mm mosaics. You are quite correct!

• Like Like x 3