Discuss Porcelain Wood Effect Tile Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AndrewH

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for advice.
Has anyone used porcelain, wood effect tiles and found them in lengths longer than 150cm and varying widths? I'd like ideas as to suppliers if possible, thanks in advance!

I

Italy

20x180 I saw them, I do not think I can find
Variable widths over 150 cm, but I could be wrong.
I still made 120cm with 2 widths and 3 widths but
less than 120cm.
this photo is a 25x150 that I'm doing these days

20180725_071341.jpg

G

Gjeng

I'd avoid places like Topps, we had to scrap a load when having them installed in our dining room as they were quite literally varying widths.... in the same batch, although these were only the 1m lengths.

M

Matthew77

I have done some 1.8m x 300mm. The tiles were of high quality size wise but beware of the bow in the long length variety.
Rex ceramics were the make and they are some of the highest quality “plank” type tiles I’ve installed.

D91B9A29-F0E6-46F7-8BCF-115E29B436F3.jpeg

Reaction score
make sure you follow matthew77 pattern if you are laying them like he has done ,1 whole one and 2 cut ones this has a more pleasing effect to the eye.

M

Matthew77

make sure you follow matthew77 pattern if you are laying them like he has done ,1 whole one and 2 cut ones this has a more pleasing effect to the eye.

I usually lay in 3rd on or sometimes 1/4 on pattern, the picture is 3rd on so I’ve divided the plank into 3 equal parts and always laid the next plank a third of the way down. You will notice this effect a bit more than when laying with wooden floors as with the tile you have the grout line.
I’ve noticed also that a lot of these long plank tiles come with a no more than a 1/4 overlap warning on the boxes advising you not to overlap the next tile more than a quarter of its length. I’m guessing this is due to the curve in the plank, so when laid the lowest part of the tile (the end) isn’t next to the highest part (the middle) and in this instance a pattern like impish would probably suit better.

A

AndrewH

I have done some 1.8m x 300mm. The tiles were of high quality size wise but beware of the bow in the long length variety.
Rex ceramics were the make and they are some of the highest quality “plank” type tiles I’ve installed.

View attachment 99922
Thanks for that info Matthew, they look narrower than 300, maybe it's just the photo.
Do you know where your customer bought them by any chance?
Cheers, Andrew

A

AndrewH

I usually lay in 3rd on or sometimes 1/4 on pattern, the picture is 3rd on so I’ve divided the plank into 3 equal parts and always laid the next plank a third of the way down. You will notice this effect a bit more than when laying with wooden floors as with the tile you have the grout line.
I’ve noticed also that a lot of these long plank tiles come with a no more than a 1/4 overlap warning on the boxes advising you not to overlap the next tile more than a quarter of its length. I’m guessing this is due to the curve in the plank, so when laid the lowest part of the tile (the end) isn’t next to the highest part (the middle) and in this instance a pattern like impish would probably suit better.
Thank you for that advice, much appreciated.

M

Matthew77

Thanks for that info Matthew, they look narrower than 300, maybe it's just the photo.
Do you know where your customer bought them by any chance?
Cheers, Andrew

I have a feeling they were ordered from Florim although they look to be available from StylePark too. Customer had them shipped from Italy.
You’re right they don’t look 300 wide...they also don’t look 1.8m long in that photo! Seems like they come in 3 different widths maybe they were 265wide.
Hope thats helpful

I

Italy

florim, floorgres,rex,caramella, cedit etc. they are all part of the same florim group

Reply to Porcelain Wood Effect Tile Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks