• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Porcelain Tiles - Problems! in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Chris101

Good Evening,

I have just had my kitchen tiled - around 40m2 and am worried about the following -

1. How level the actual floor is
2. Multiple small chips on tiles laid (I have counted 10 so far and only counted 30% of the tiles laid)
3. A few of the tiles are raised by 2mm
4. Some of the grout lines are either too small or too big (consistency), should all have been 3mm
5. Gaps between skirting and floor (only in some areas but been told this is to allow the under floor heating expansion).

We have a concrete floor with wet underfloor heating and screed on top.
The tiles were laid on top of a decoupling membrane and has been down for over a week.

Should the above points be raised ?
What steps are required to remedy the issue.

OP
Q

Qwerty

Sounds unacceptable standards to me but does depend on what tile quality was like as well. Any photos?

OP
W

WetSaw

There shouldn't be any chipped tiles.
Lippage should be minimal but British Standards are quite generous so you may struggle with that point.
Grout lines can vary if the tiles are not rectified or the same size, again British Standards allows a fair amount of leeway.
Having said that, regardless of what I'm working with the end result should be a happy customer.

OP
C

Chris101

a few pics and yes unfortunately again as I am unsure of what action to take, if any...

20170918_212802.jpg 20170918_212619.jpg 20170918_212454.jpg 20170918_212813.jpg

OP
B

Blunt Tool

So went from tiles sound hollow, to gaps under skirting, to lips on tiles and now chips on tiles. This job has been discussed in multiple threads and already been given the same answer?

OP
F

Flintstone

Chris, what do you want to here ?
You were given good advice by some great tilers and you ignored it all.

OP
C

Chris101

Apologies all.
Did not ignore advise at all - With all your comments we went back to the PM and advised him of all the issues and asked for a new tiler while stating all the issues you all advised on.

The PM didn't change the tiler but got him to pull up the odd tiles initally laid and then laid the mebrane and was suppose to use SLC in afreas to get the floor all level however these issues are all of last week when he finished the job.

Anyway the end result is that most of the floor is at an angle of 3mm-5mm.
The main issue is my entertainment units that sit under and next to the TV are at a noticeable slant from the wall.

The construction company has offered to pay compensation of ÂŁ800 and to take up and replace the tiles that are noticeably unlevel and where the grout lines are not consistant (the tiles were rectified)...

The construction company knew before they took on the job that the only reason we were redoing our kitchen floor was due to the fact that 4 years ago another construction company who carried out the extension work, did a poor suspended floor which meant the tiles were starting to get loose and the grout lines were coming apart...

Is ÂŁ800 plus taking up a few tiles (is this a safe option to take up tiles already on a membrane) a reasonable compensation offer?

OP
O

One Day

Well you'll have ÂŁ800 to put toward paying someone to take it all up and do it properly when it fails ultimately!

It's easy to sit here and give advice but it's your stress levels and headaches. I'd suggest you go with whatever "feels" right for you.

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I don't see how these things weren't picked up the second time the tiles were laid. You had the same problems the first time they were fixed as I recall. The process that the fixing goes through from start to finish, each step could have been checked by yourself and brought to the PM's attention, or checked by him as the installation took place.

Level floor - check with straight edge and spirit level or floor laser level
Tiles fixed - check for lippage and joint widths - remove and replace tiles you are unhappy with
Clips removed - check for chips - remove and replace chipped tiles
Grout tiles once you are happy the above has been carried out
Pay company

OP
C

Chris101

I don't see how these things weren't picked up the second time the tiles were laid. You had the same problems the first time they were fixed as I recall. The process that the fixing goes through from start to finish, each step could have been checked by yourself and brought to the PM's attention, or checked by him as the installation took place.

Level floor - check with straight edge and spirit level or floor laser level
Tiles fixed - check for lippage and joint widths - remove and replace tiles you are unhappy with
Clips removed - check for chips - remove and replace chipped tiles
Grout tiles once you are happy the above has been carried out
Pay company

Unfortunately it did not work like that.
We paid a construction company to carry out the whole kitchen re-renovation.
They supplied the tilers and as both my wife and I work full time, they were left to it until we were able to inspect at the end of the day...

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Unfortunately it did not work like that.
We paid a construction company to carry out the whole kitchen re-renovation.
They supplied the tilers and as both my wife and I work full time, they were left to it until we were able to inspect at the end of the day...

Hence me stating that the PM could have checked whilst you were out at work. Maybe he thought it was acceptable.

OP
C

Chris101

Hence me stating that the PM could have checked whilst you were out at work. Maybe he thought it was acceptable.
He initally was indenial to the problems and thought we was making a meal of it.
The tiler and PM both now agree that the tiling/floor is of poor quality and hence the compensation.
Just not sure if the ÂŁ800 plus taking up a few tiles will be a) a good pay out for the issues b) if we have a few tiles replaced, is there any risks of other issues propping up?

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
The problem with tiles that have lippage is that when you remove the individual tile and replace it to the same level as the next tile, the opposite end will be raised and create a lip at the other side and so on.

I would insist that the whole lot is removed and replaced at their expense and done by a an independent tiler, preferably someone who knows how to level floors and fix tiles correctly. It would be more expensive to take out the kitchen once it's been fitted

OP
C

Chris101

The problem with tiles that have lippage is that when you remove the individual tile and replace it to the same level as the next tile, the opposite end will be raised and create a lip at the other side and so on.

I would insist that the whole lot is removed and replaced at their expense and done by a an independent tiler, preferably someone who knows how to level floors and fix tiles correctly. It would be more expensive to take out the kitchen once it's been fitted

I am trying to avoid taking out the whole floor unless we relaly have two based on two reasons - Kitchen is due next week and the week after our baby is due - we just want to be done with all this as quickly as possible while not having any major future issues to be left with.

The grout lines while they range from 2mm - 5mm, is somthing we can live with it as it is only really noticeable if you really looking for it and same goes for the chips.

As for the lippage and a few of the raised tiles, I have counted 3 raised tiles and only really 2 tiles that have a really noticeable raised lip (the main one which will be under the peninsula of the kitchen).

Most of the whole floor is at an angle of around 2-3mm (one area is 5mm).
I guess, again, most would not notice this unless you are looking for these issues.

With this in mind do you still think the best option would be to still lift up all tiles and start again or do you think we can get away with the issues and accept their compensation or raise the compensation to future protect if we need to do any big remedial works??

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
what constitutes a good pay out ... sounds like you are just grasping to get as much as you can regardless of whether it is deserved or warranted... good vs fair and reasonable...

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Read the last paragraph of my previous comment or live with it. You probably don't have enough time to lift the whole lot unless you can put back your kitchen fitting and ask the wife to hang on a bit longer. ÂŁ800 wouldn't begin to cover the cost of doing the whole lot again, so therefore it's up to you to consider what you would be happy to live with.

OP
C

Chris101

Good Evening,

Some of you previously assisted me in September last year with some advice with regards to a dispute with a builder/tiler.

In short, we had appointed a building company (FMB/Trust Mark registered) to put in a new floor for our kitchen from ground up (due to problems with it from another builder in the past), put in new pipe work including wet under floor heating, re-do all plumbing/electrics for our large kitchen/diner, redecorate, put in some new rads, install Sash windows and few other bits and bobs.

The work was carried out without due care and subsequently we have issues with our floor (tiles chipped, uneven floor, grout lines inconsistent in size, a few raised tiles), 3cm step into the kitchen (they had full control of the floor as it was new from ground up and not ideal as we have an immediate family member who uses a wheel chair), Sash windows were only partially ordered due to a mix up of comms between their surveyor and firm owner and they missed out some other jobs that were noted in the contract.

The builder offered some refunds but were unrealistic when compared to the cost of carrying out the repair and outstanding work.

We tried going through insurance but they only covered us up to 15k of the whole contract value, so that fell flat.

Some of you suggested at the time for me to not install our new german kitchen, which was arriving in October and delay it until we sorted out all the issues.
As my wife had a baby in October and we have two other young children, we chose not to delay the kitchen (it had been 3 months without one).
We felt even though there would be far more disruption we could carefully remove our kitchen in the future and redo the floor or possibly, raise the floor of our hall way that leads to the kitchen to the same level (We have two levels of our hall way as it is but this option would also impact a bathroom floor that is connected off the same hall way).

Due to the contract stipulating we had to go down the FMB route through any dispute at first stage, we did this but found the FMB a complete waste of time!
They did not discuss any of the points of contention throughout the process, simply forwarded our emails and the builders emails from one another and at the end said they could not do anything further.
Literally at no time did they discuss anything specific about our issues nor specifics about refunds, it was such a poor service and we do not know why they call it 'mediation'!

The whole process from FMB took around 2.5 months and in the end we are left in a worse off position.
The builder in the new proposal via FMB has had the cheek to retract some refunds he initially offered, advise some areas of the issues no longer existed (evidence of email in the first proposal offered refunds for the same issues that no longer apparently exist) and even add some extra jobs he thought he had carried out as an extra even though they were clearly noted in the contract!
As we had some building companies come out to quote us for the repair/outstanding work, we knew a rough figure that was realistic, which we advised the builder through FMB again but again FMB never discussed this or the builders response.

The dispute is now closed from FMB as they feel the company was fair/reasonable as they had offered refunds and had met me. Literally no other reasons provided!
I challenged this and asked how can they call it fair and reasonable when no independent handyman would carry out the tasks at the refunds value, let alone a building company, which they responded as they could not discuss specifics of figures and they are impartial!
Clearly they had their customers best interest at heart and had no intention from the outset to really try and 'mediate'.

Are any of you aware if TrustMark is any better or should I go straight to Small Claims now?

Thank you

OP
O

One Day

i would imagine that as you have already attempted 'mediation', you are in a good position to take it to court.
it sounds like a nightmare!
i have long held the belief that many, if not all 'associations' and 'federations' are nothing more than tax-effective networking groups for those in charge.

OP
W

WetSaw

I think your only course of action now is the small claims court. How successful you'll be there is doubtful as you had ample opportunity to stop the work continuing. I can't for the life of me think why you had the kitchen fitted on top of tiling that you weren't happy with and hadn't been since the first few tiles were laid.
I hate to say it but you have to take some of the blame for allowing things to continue when you knew, and had video evidence, that things weren't going well.

OP
F

Flintstone

Oh my opinion, Chris your a fool and you haven’t helped yourself from day 1 and now it’s too late. You ignored lots of good advice.

OP
C

Chris101

I think your only course of action now is the small claims court. How successful you'll be there is doubtful as you had ample opportunity to stop the work continuing. I can't for the life of me think why you had the kitchen fitted on top of tiling that you weren't happy with and hadn't been since the first few tiles were laid.
I hate to say it but you have to take some of the blame for allowing things to continue when you knew, and had video evidence, that things weren't going well.

I spoke with trading standards prior to making my decision to put the kitchen down and they advised me that as I had already given the building company a second chance (repeat performance) I did not have to ask the builder for a third time to resolve the issues and could seek compensation...

I appreciate the advice given but just because I didn'ttake some of the specific members advice, that does not make me a fool...

OP
F

Flintstone

It’s good old common sense that you ignored, not just opinions! It was never going to end well was it when it was shown that the tiler didn’t know what he was doing and the builder wasnt very pleasant about it yet you allowed it to carry on.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

@Localtiler - not surprisingly I don’t agree!
When customers put their faith and a lot of money in the hands of professionals, they expect a decent job.
If that’s not achieved there should be a line of recourse. Having gone the mediation route that hasn’t provided the result for one side, then the legal route is the next step.
Yes the OP could have stopped the work earlier, not had the kitchen fitted etc. but that doesn’t take away the lack of quality that the completed work achieved.
Had he been away for the duration of the work and instructed the project to progress under the professional guidance of the builder - the result would have been the same.

Reply to Porcelain Tiles - Problems! in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer