Discuss Polished Porcelain - Transit wax in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Malcolm

I have (with a struggle) laid 600 x 600 infinity ivory polished porcelain tiles purchased from Wickes. Prior to sealing the tiles with the recommended LTP impregnating sealer, I was advised by Wickes and the manufacturer (Verona Stone Company) to remove the transit wax using LTP Grimex heavy duty grime remover.

I used this in a 1 to 5 mix with warm water, applying to the tile with a sponge, leaving for 5 mins and then agitating with a scrub pad and leaving for a further 20 mins ensuring the areas remained wet. I cleaned this off with a sponge mop and warm water, however, I am unsure whether this has had any effect and did not notice any transit wax coming off. I even used a squeegee and didn't notice anything. I have since buffed the floor and it looks clean and shiny but is there anyway to tell if I have removed the transit wax before I attempt to seal the tiles.

I have attached pictures of how the tiles currently look, although they do not look any different.

I would be grateful for any help or shared experiences. Many thanks.

tile1.jpg tile2.jpg tile3.jpg

O

Old Mod

It's very difficult to see transit wax in a photo.
It's generally very visible to the naked eye or touch. The tile can feel greasy.
Or it will appear smeared even after wiping with a cloth.
If there's a clean even shine to the face of the tile when polished, chances are it's gone.
One very simple way to remove it and be to get a handful of dry grout and rub it in to the face of the tile. The grout generally sticks to the wax and not to the clean parts. Just rub with your hands and it generally removes it.
Messy business tho.

M

Malcolm

It's very difficult to see transit wax in a photo.
It's generally very visible to the naked eye or touch. The tile can feel greasy.
Or it will appear smeared even after wiping with a cloth.
If there's a clean even shine to the face of the tile when polished, chances are it's gone.
One very simple way to remove it and be to get a handful of dry grout and rub it in to the face of the tile. The grout generally sticks to the wax and not to the clean parts. Just rub with your hands and it generally removes it.
Messy business tho.

Thanks for your response 3_fall, I'll give this a go this afternoon.

Reply to Polished Porcelain - Transit wax in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks