Discuss Polished porcelain floor tiles in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Al Cunningham

Anyone any idea what this mark is on my new tiles? Just out the box, haven't done anything to them yet. Is this a defect or normal? What can I use to remove this?

Thanks

Al

20181112_202614.jpg

A

Al Cunningham

I don't have any experience in this. I managed to get some off with my finger nail but it left a shadow where the residue was.
As above, looks like transit wax. The plywood below is more of a concern..
is transit wax easily removed? What's wrong with the ply?

O

Old Mod

Some transit waxes are a little stubborn to remove.
The most non invasive way of removing transit wax is to get a handful of grout powder and rub it across the face of the tile with a little elbow grease, then reassess.
I don’t normally have to get any more agggressive than that.
If I have to use a product, it would normally be Lithofin’s Wexa or Ceramic Clean, I’ve found both to be successful.
Wexa would be my first choice tho.

Plywood, if that’s the floor to be tiled, is a bad choice of substrate for many reasons.
Least of all, plywood today is if a very low quality and prone to swelling, warping and delaminating.
If you have no height restrictions, you’d do well to overboard it with a material designed to have tiles fixed to it.
Something like Hardiebacker or a tilebacker board such as Deltaboard if it’s a wet area.
This will give you a more stable substrate.

Tilemaster Delta Boards Thermal Construction Boards 1200mm x 600mm (Sizes 6-20mm Thickness) (INDIVIDUAL) - https://www.*******************/product/tilemaster-delta-boards-thermal-construction-boards-1200mm-x-600mm--sizes-6-20mm-thickness---individual-

A

Al Cunningham

Some transit waxes are a little stubborn to remove.
The most non invasive way of removing transit wax is to get a handful of grout powder and rub it across the face of the tile with a little elbow grease, then reassess.
I don’t normally have to get any more agggressive than that.
If I have to use a product, it would normally be Lithofin’s Wexa or Ceramic Clean, I’ve found both to be successful.
Wexa would be my first choice tho.

Plywood, if that’s the floor to be tiled, is a bad choice of substrate for many reasons.
Least of all, plywood today is if a very low quality and prone to swelling, warping and delaminating.
If you have no height restrictions, you’d do well to overboard it with a material designed to have tiles fixed to it.
Something like Hardiebacker or a tilebacker board such as Deltaboard if it’s a wet area.
This will give you a more stable substrate.

Tilemaster Delta Boards Thermal Construction Boards 1200mm x 600mm (Sizes 6-20mm Thickness) (INDIVIDUAL) - https://www.*******************/product/tilemaster-delta-boards-thermal-construction-boards-1200mm-x-600mm--sizes-6-20mm-thickness---individual-
Thanks for the info. My tiler has now viewed the tiles and Isn't confident the tiles will clean up. He's happy enough with the plywood though as it's in a sitting area with no water ingress likely. Will now speak to the supplier for support. Thanks again.

O

One Day

Never mind if he's happy with the ply. You run a huge risk tiling into ply these days. Far eastern imports have a very very thin layer of hard wood on the faces.
The tile association issued warnings concerning ply and the industry responded by coming out with certified flooring grade ply. If it's not proper flooring grade ply, don't tile into it.
Wbp, Marine etc doesn't mean anything now.
Ignore this advice at your peril, or make sure your tiler has enough assets for you to claim back your costs if it fails!

W

Waluigi

Agree with that. Also, it’s a complete lottery as to what you’re going to get.

Unless SP101 or FG1 play has been installed. It’s likely to be completely unsuitable. These days, even those two types have better alternatives and are usually reserved for the LVT trade.

Reply to Polished porcelain floor tiles in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks