Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Please help, scratches in tile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I apologize if this is the wrong sub forum to post to but I have recently gotten tiles installed. These were sold to me by a reputable company and claimed to be full body porcelain tiles. They are glossy. However I notice they have gathered these scratches that are visible under direct white light (the tiles themselves are cream). The scratches are circular and similar to what you might find when looking at a cars paint. I have attached images. No issues besides this have been noticed by me yet. What is this? Can this be fixed?

IMG_20181221_175217.jpg
IMG_20181221_175202.jpg

Q

Qwerty

In short, no not really. The factory polished finish is near on impossible to achieve due to the polishing process they undergo at the factory being under immense speeds & pressures

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the rapid response. that sucks though :( so I'm stuck with these scratches? I don't even understand how they happened!

I

Italy

Dry+White+Flex.JPG

the last time I solved these with water,
but it's not easy to do, if you're not practical
you could ruin the tile.
you could practice on an advanced tile,
and then proceed.

OP
A
Reaction score
I read something about toothpaste being able to fix it? Is that true? And how about buffing it lightly with one of those was machines used on cars?

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I apologize if this is the wrong sub forum to post to but I have recently gotten tiles installed. These were sold to me by a reputable company and claimed to be full body porcelain tiles. They are glossy. However I notice they have gathered these scratches that are visible under direct white light (the tiles themselves are cream). The scratches are circular and similar to what you might find when looking at a cars paint. I have attached images. No issues besides this have been noticed by me yet. What is this? Can this be fixed?

View attachment 103326 View attachment 103327
I think you will find that once the tiles have been fixed you have no claim,not much help now i know but surely that must have been seen before they where laid

W

Waluigi

Those circular ‘scratches’ can be seen on a lot of items if you shine something on them. Baths, shower trays and even sanitary ware. All fresh out of the factory.

Check a brand new tile to see if they’re visible on there.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they were there or not to be honest :/ a curious thing I've noticed is that under softer yellow light, they just disappear

OP
A
Reaction score
Those circular ‘scratches’ can be seen on a lot of items if you shine something on them. Baths, shower trays and even sanitary ware. All fresh out of the factory.

Check a brand new tile to see if they’re visible on there.

These are brand new. Installed them maybe a month from today.

W

Waluigi

Shine a light on a tile fresh out of the box. I bet they have circular scratches on. That’s my point.

I can peel the protective film off a brand spanking new Bath, shine my torch on it and it’ll have the circular scratches on it. Just the way it is sometimes.

No idea if your scratches have this same scenario or whether there is a genuine issue with them

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Please help, scratches in tile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock