Discuss Please help me set out in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Fourcircles

Hello,

Can anyone help me with setting out for a bathroom wall inclusive of a window? I am using 600x300 in a running bond pattern. I have the window centre and I'm working from that with a tile gauge, but I'm left with slithers on the second row, even when moving across half a tile.
Bathroom.png

Any advice?

Cheers

OP
W

WetSaw

How small is the slither? Can you cheat and make those tiles slightly longer to lose the slither? Does tiling the other walls first lose the slither?

OP
F

Fourcircles

How small is the slither? Can you cheat and make those tiles slightly longer to lose the slither? Does tiling the other walls first lose the slither?

The slither is only 50mm! I suppose I could lengthen the tiles but then I'll obviously lose the centre of the window. Would this look bad?

Cheers

OP
O

Old Mod

Why is that drawing making no sense to me?
I'm sorry but something's not right.
It's the window wall right? Haha
It's taller than its length?

OP
O

Old Mod

And if you are going to amend your drawing, would be helpful to explore other possibilities, can I have cill height, window head height and distance between each window reveal and their adjacent corner please.
It's way too late to be deducting figures from each other when I've been doing this all day long. :)
Appreciate it, thank you.

OP
F

Fourcircles

And if you are going to amend your drawing, would be helpful to explore other possibilities, can I have cill height, window head height and distance between each window reveal and their adjacent corner please.
It's way too late to be deducting figures from each other when I've been doing this all day long. :)
Appreciate it, thank you.

No, thank you for helping me!

Here's a picture of the wall itself with the measurements you asked for (I think I've included them all). If there's anything else you need, please let me know.

Thanks again.

image1.JPG

OP
O

Old Mod

Here's a picture of the wall itself with the measurements you asked for

Close, :D I have no reference point as to the location of the window I'm afraid.
The 1188mm width of the window could effectively be anywhere along the 1895mm of the wall.
So the measurement between the reveal of the window and their adjoins corner would really help too.
Thank you.
Sorry to be a pain, and I'll check back in the morning.

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone help me with setting out for a bathroom wall inclusive of a window? I am using 600x300 in a running bond pattern. I have the window centre and I'm working from that with a tile gauge, but I'm left with slithers on the second row, even when moving across half a tile.
View attachment 91822
Any advice?

Cheers

Assuming that I am understanding the sketch correctly.
Personally faced with this , I would start with a cut tile of half the distance between window and corner, e.g. 175mm, leaving a cut of approximately 520mm at the opposite end, whilst not exactly half bond, you will achieve simitary albeit on alternate courses, between window and corners, if you get what I mean.

Hope this helps.

OP
T

Terry the tiler

how does the bond on the already tiled right hand wall finish, could you continue with the offcuts? I.e if your large tile is at 400 use the 200 cut and the half bond at 100 use the 500 cut.

Does that make sense??

OP
F

Fourcircles

Close, :D I have no reference point as to the location of the window I'm afraid.
The 1188mm width of the window could effectively be anywhere along the 1895mm of the wall.
So the measurement between the reveal of the window and their adjoins corner would really help too.
Thank you.
Sorry to be a pain, and I'll check back in the morning.

Sorry about that, if I'm understanding you correctly, this should help!

Thanks

image1.JPG

OP
F

Fourcircles

Assuming that I am understanding the sketch correctly.
Personally faced with this , I would start with a cut tile of half the distance between window and corner, e.g. 175mm, leaving a cut of approximately 520mm at the opposite end, whilst not exactly half bond, you will achieve simitary albeit on alternate courses, between window and corners, if you get what I mean.

Hope this helps.

I think this is the best option so far. Thanks for the advice.

OP
F

Fourcircles

how does the bond on the already tiled right hand wall finish, could you continue with the offcuts? I.e if your large tile is at 400 use the 200 cut and the half bond at 100 use the 500 cut.

Does that make sense??

Yes, it does. I've attached a pictured of the tiled wall below. The large tile is at 535mm which only leaves 65mm. I suppose I could extend this to 100mm? Or even go to 172mm as mentioned above? What do you think?

Cheers

image2.JPG

OP
O

Old Mod

Once you apply tiles to left wall then the 210 will be reduced to approx 195 and be even closer to opposite side of window set out.

OP
O

Old Mod

And when you add reveal tiles it'll make the 160mm cut to about 173mm so then both sides of window will almost be centered.

OP
O

Old Mod

Fantastic. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for your help, I'll upload some pictures once it's been done!

Thanks again to everyone else who has given me advice, never been on such a helpful forum!

Cheers
No problem, obviously starting bottom right corner, put whichever Cut comes closest to the one previously fixed on right wall, which when put together, equal A full tile.
So that it wraps in effect.

OP
F

Fourcircles

No problem, obviously starting bottom right corner, put whichever Cut comes closest to the one previously fixed on right wall, which when put together, equal A full tile.
So that it wraps in effect.

Ok thanks. I'm using a horizontal baton to support the first row of tiles, if I'm starting in the bottom right hand corner, how to I ensure the tiles are vertically level assuming the cuts aren't 100% straight?

Cheers

OP
O

Old Mod

Ok thanks. I'm using a horizontal baton to support the first row of tiles, if I'm starting in the bottom right hand corner, how to I ensure the tiles are vertically level assuming the cuts aren't 100% straight?

Cheers
Continue your baton around and follow on from tile that is already fixed.
So if there is almost a full tile into the corner already, start with the 185mm cut, if it's a small piece start with the 485mm. Aesthetically it'll look like you've wrapped the tile around the corner. Similarly the otherside when you tile the left wall.

OP
T

Tile Shop

Too late, right wall is tiled

Not to fear. I had every confidence in the chap taking that into account :)

Anyway, you know what I'm like when some has a setting out query and I have some form of CAD in front of me.

This is what I think basically @3_fall is getting at. In this picture, the dotted line is dead centre of the window. I started the first course below the window exactly 150mm to the right of that line. Although not 100% accurate in terms of making the correct size pieces of the wrap-around corners, it doesn't look out of place and eliminates eye catching slithers.

Grab a pencil, tape measure and spirit level and draw it on the walls before you begin just to make sure

upload_2017-7-8_12-23-24.png

OP
O

Old Mod

This is what I think basically @3_fall is getting at.

That's it Paul, the fact that the wall isn't centred doesn't matter half as much if the focal point looks correct, where's @widler
s11246.gif

Your eyes will always be drawn to the greatest source of light first! The window, if that looks right, the rest falls in.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F

Fourcircles

Not to fear. I had every confidence in the chap taking that into account :)

Anyway, you know what I'm like when some has a setting out query and I have some form of CAD in front of me.

This is what I think basically @3_fall is getting at. In this picture, the dotted line is dead centre of the window. I started the first course below the window exactly 150mm to the right of that line. Although not 100% accurate in terms of making the correct size pieces of the wrap-around corners, it doesn't look out of place and eliminates eye catching slithers.

Grab a pencil, tape measure and spirit level and draw it on the walls before you begin just to make sure

View attachment 91829

Wow! I have to say, when I joined his forum I didn't even expect a reply let alone a CAD! I started tiling this afternoon and I'm pleased to say that so far, all has gone to plan as per the drawings you all very kindly provided.

That's not to say there won't be some hiccups along the way, I'm sure there will be, particularly around the window! So expect a couple more threads! :tearsofjoy:

You guys are a credit to the forum, others could learn a thing or two from here, some of the replies I've seen on other forums are beyond belief!

Cheers

OP
O

Old Mod

Wow! I have to say, when I joined his forum I didn't even expect a reply let alone a CAD! I started tiling this afternoon and I'm pleased to say that so far, all has gone to plan as per the drawings you all very kindly provided.

That's not to say there won't be some hiccups along the way, I'm sure there will be, particularly around the window! So expect a couple more threads! :tearsofjoy:

You guys are a credit to the forum, others could learn a thing or two from here, some of the replies I've seen on other forums are beyond belief!

Cheers

Well I'm glad we've helped you out, and thanks for mentioning it.
Encourages us to carry on. :)

Reply to Please help me set out in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer