Discuss Plastering courses close to preston ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Fekin

Im wanting to do a 4 day course on plastering, and was wondering if anyone had been on one in or around the Preston - Lancashire area that was any good.

There is a place called "The Lancashire school of plastering" very close to me, but they messed me around with a course I had booked with them quite a while ago now, and didn't really feel they were very good.

Google search brings up a few, but I wanted to know if anyone on here could recommend anywhere.

Cheers.

NOTE FROM ADMIN

Lancashire School of Plastering (most of the feedback in this thread) is NOT anything to do with Lancashire School of Trades (of which we have no feedback for in this thread).

Please do NOT confuse the two.

R

R.J.Tiling

Not a very professional set up, courses were not very well run: A mate of mine went on the Tiling and plastering courses at the Lancashire school of plastering last year and recommended the courses to me, he was taught by Pete on the tiling course and said he had learned a lot. So I booked the Tiling course and the Plastering course together in the hope that I could change my career, I did the Tiling course a few months ago and the plastering course this month. The guy who taught my mate was called Pete who is no longer there, from what I had gathered there has been a personnel change due to tutors leaving. The tiling course was run by a lad called Ricky, he seems a nice lad but he only looks in his early twenties. He did seem to know some stuff but I couldn’t see how he could be time served.

I was very disappointed in the set up of the place. The unit is small and dingy and I felt crammed in. The bays we were tiling were so small I almost couldn’t fit. The course was just ok it was basics only and we had no sink or toilet to tile around which I found disappointing.

The plastering course was worse than the tiling, the tutor was called jeff and he just rushed through the course as if we weren’t there. The first two days were better than the last two but I felt that the tutor was not giving us his full attention. I did learn some things but again I didn’t feel that he was fully time served and he was blagging his way through the course. He came across as a bit of a cowboy to be honest. Again we were crammed in like sardines. Not very good learning conditions at all. Two other guys on the course also told me they were unhappy. I have learned more working with my mate since to be honest.

I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. I have recently found out that there are loads of other places in the North West that do these courses I would have traveled further if I had known. My advice, stay away it’s not worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grace'sDad

Adam, my Bro-in-law is a pro plasterer - only 21 but he served a 3 yr apprenticeship with that big social housing firm in Leyland - can't remember the name now I'm too tired. Anyways, he did all his NVQ stuff at Blackpool & Fylde college and really rates the place. I asked him and he recalls that they did some short evening classes for non-formal students. Might be worth a call?

B

brian c

Adam ,why dont you give Kenny a pm at Diamond training.I know he was offering us all on here a reduced rate for the plastering course,i know its not Lancashire but he does run good courses.

P

plastering solu

I have to agree with r.j.tiling. I have been a tiler now for some years and I wanted to further my skills by learning Plastering. I have just recently completed a plastering course with the lancashire school of plastering. The course was not great, the instructor rushed things and although we did learn a few things I still couldn;t plaster at the end of the course. The place is small and there was hardly any space to work without bumping into someone every 5 mins. The plaster was going all over us and the floor more than the walls. I found it to be a bit of a joke really. it was dissapointing!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

i certainly would be wanting my money back especially if i still couldnt plaster after the course,sounds a bit of a joke really so maybe one to avoid Adam m8.

D

DHTiling

Not a very professional set up, courses were not very well run: A mate of mine went on the Tiling and plastering courses at the Lancashire school of plastering last year and recommended the courses to me, he was taught by Pete on the tiling course and said he had learned a lot. So I booked the Tiling course and the Plastering course together in the hope that I could change my career, I did the Tiling course a few months ago and the plastering course this month. The guy who taught my mate was called Pete who is no longer there, from what I had gathered there has been a personnel change due to tutors leaving. The tiling course was run by a lad called Ricky, he seems a nice lad but he only looks in his early twenties. He did seem to know some stuff but I couldn’t see how he could be time served.

I was very disappointed in the set up of the place. The unit is small and dingy and I felt crammed in. The bays we were tiling were so small I almost couldn’t fit. The course was just ok it was basics only and we had no sink or toilet to tile around which I found disappointing.

The plastering course was worse than the tiling, the tutor was called jeff and he just rushed through the course as if we weren’t there. The first two days were better than the last two but I felt that the tutor was not giving us his full attention. I did learn some things but again I didn’t feel that he was fully time served and he was blagging his way through the course. He came across as a bit of a cowboy to be honest. Again we were crammed in like sardines. Not very good learning conditions at all. Two other guys on the course also told me they were unhappy. I have learned more working with my mate since to be honest.

I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. I have recently found out that there are loads of other places in the North West that do these courses I would have traveled further if I had known. My advice, stay away it’s not worth it!

I have to agree with r.j.tiling. I have been a tiler now for some years and I wanted to further my skills by learning Plastering. I have just recently completed a plastering course with the lancashire school of plastering. The course was not great, the instructor rushed things and although we did learn a few things I still couldn;t plaster at the end of the course. The place is small and there was hardly any space to work without bumping into someone every 5 mins. The plaster was going all over us and the floor more than the walls. I found it to be a bit of a joke really. it was dissapointing!

two posts on the same course in a thread that is over a year old...mmmmmmmmmm....:huh2:

W

White Room

Don,t get it, The guys where,nt happy and they survived for quite a time FFS what is going on...????

P

pjtiler

i think Ive said this before
plastering is not difficult atall
the hard part is developing trowel skills
and the only way to achieve thous is by practice
no one can teach you that

W

White Room

Trouble is pj do you practice on customers walls or at least get a good knowledge at a training centre before trying it out with the trowel skills for what you pay for

P

pjtiler

Trouble is pj do you practice on customers walls or at least get a good knowledge at a training centre before trying it out with the trowel skills for what you pay for
well if it was me i would practice in the garage on a mock up
then when i got more on the wall than the floor i would take the course

P

plastering solu

I have sent a letter of complaint to them but had no reply. I called up and the guy who answered said they hadn't rcvd it! How convienient!! I explained I was not happy and he just brushed me off to tell me that not everyone can pick it up and that refunds are not given. His words were it's not my concern sorry.

I have been lucky to have worked with experienced tradesmen since and they have shown me a few tips but I'm still not confident to tackle work on my own. I'm just going to have to stick to the tiling for now.

Reply to Plastering courses close to preston ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks