Discuss Plasterboard on bathroom wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I've put up marmox backer boards on 3 of the walls in my small bathroom including the wall that holds the loo and basin, side of shower and shower itself. I've bought normal 12.5mm plasterboard for the remaining wall which is furthest away from the bath/ shower (about 1.5m away) to try and save some money, but I'm questioning whether its going to be ok to use. The wall won't come into contact with water directly but probably condensation with it being quite a cold room.
I was just wondering on peoples opinions on this?
All 4 walls are going to be tiled by the way.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Doh, wish I'd just got extra marmox for the last wall, probably going to work out more expensive after buying adhesive and fixings for dot dabbing the pb. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I also got some primer for the plasterboard as I'm using a cement based tile adhesive for my porcelain tiles, do you still need to use it if using a tanking kit? Ta

LEH

TF
Reaction score
I'm not a pro like the guys above but I've also just finished a small bathroom. I got my wall that's not in the wet area skimmed, then I painted it with a durable acrylic eggshell - that's wipeable and a bit more capable of dealing with the humidity. You're probably better off investing in good extraction - like an in-line fan up in the loft that has a much higher airflow - to keep the humidity down for protecting stuff that won't get directly wet.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks, I think I'll get some sbr for a bit of piece of mind. I'm assuming bal bond sbr and everbuild bond sbr do the same. Does it just form a waterproof/resistant coating on the boards then as well as improving adhesion? Should be able to return the acrylic one.

Last edited:

Reply to Plasterboard on bathroom wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks