Discuss Plaster repair & skim vs. hardie plaster boarding in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Hi there

So quick question from a DIYer....

I am doing my en-suite. Now fully stripped. See pics

and to get the look without the expenses and work I would like to make it feel as "wet room" as possible.

Questions I have are....

FLOOR; I have a 25mm solid surface 900x900 shower tray, So was going to use the low profile tray and either use 12mm (wall) Hardie board on top of the current green chipbaord to bring my chosen 9mm thick tile close to the same level OR should I remove 900x900 of the green board and "notch" in the shower tray into the floor, then use 6mm (floor) Hardie boards around it? What would you do? Also should I tank the floor (suggestions)??

WALLS; As you can see in the pictures the walls (which were all previously tiled) have been plasted with the tile adhesive & tile straight onto them. (never created a problem in shower just didn't like the tiles)(no evidence of tanking that I can see). My question is what to do now? As you can see there is some damage where the large high profile shower tray has come out of, with the back wall being solid and the right hand wall being half stud / plasterboard plastered and half closest to the door block & plastered. I will also need to chase out the walls for pipe work as I wish to hide all pipes and have a wall mounted faucet. Options I see are;

Have a plaster come in and repair and make good all the walls, cover chased pipes and where the removed tray has damaged the existing plasterboard patch repair this. OR do I get the hardie 12mm boards bond (with what?) and screw to all 4 plaster walls, and tile directly onto there? Problem I see with this option is as you can see from the pictures the wall is really close to the door frame, the old tiles fitted perfectly tight, also the window reveal will get deeper.
Also should i tank the walls around the shower?

Hope these questions are sensible! I have looked for answers on here but different room require different solutions...
DSC_3032.JPG
DSC_3028.JPG
DSC_3029.JPG
DSC_3030.JPG
DSC_3031.JPG

or...... Take all the plaster off back to block work and board all the walls, reboarding the stud wall section too.... Im chasing in all pipe work and thermo valves too...

Reply to Plaster repair & skim vs. hardie plaster boarding in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks