Discuss Planning a level access shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Waluigi

The thought of cutting, shaping, handling and fixing 12mm Hardiebacker onto walls vs the ease of cutting, handling and fixing of a cement faced foam board- you’ll be thanking the people of the forum which will outweigh the hassle of returning the Hardiebacker.

Reaction score
Only problem I can see is that the studs are 400 centres which is ok for Hardiebacker, but the other type boards appear to be 600 wide. So can I place them horizontally without fixing a load of extra noggins?

W

Waluigi

The boards won’t be supported properly when placed horizontally. I would pop some extra studs in and put some long boards in. I tend to use CLS. It’s straighter.

W

Waluigi

Absolutely they can- use tile adhesive and dot it on the board itself. Before doing that, drill a small hole through the board where each dot of adhesive will be as a reference point to drill, plug and screw once the adhesive has set.

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
The boards won’t be supported properly when placed horizontally. I would pop some extra studs in and put some long boards in. I tend to use CLS. It’s straighter.

What do you mean Waluigi, wont be supported properly when placed horizontally? Only because of the need for 30mm centers and he will have 40? But then he will need more studs anyway , even if placing vertically.

Also, for boarding stud work, the foam type boards should be minimum 20mm depth?

And then to clarify an earlier point for the enquirer, if you dot and dab the boards, then you need mechanical fixings as well, which is why Waluigi said about the drilling the holes where dabs will be etc. Dot and dab on its own, is not sufficient.

Reply to Planning a level access shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks