Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss PEI and Slip rating in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

H573

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone,
I’ve had a look online and I’m getting mixed answers.

1.It’s my understanding that PEI ratings go from 0-5 with 0 being light traffic and 5 for heavy traffic, is this correct?
2. Do ceramic and porcelain tiles use the same rating system?(PEI)
3. Regarding slip rating R9 is the most likely to slip on and R13 the least likely is that correct?

Thanks

T

Tile Shop

Yes, the PEI rating is the abrasion resistance of glazed ceramic an porcelain tiles. It doesn't apply to unglazed porcelain, quarry or natural stone tiles.

5 most resistant for high traffic areas and 1 will scratch even if you sneeze in the same room.

And yes, r9 slippy, r13 not slippy. Although in my opinion, some r ratings can be unreliable, seen test certificates where several r9s have outperformed r10s and even some r11s. Ask your supplier if they have the PTV test results. Anything with a rating of 36+ in the wet will be fine, but the higher the better.

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
Yes, the PEI rating is the abrasion resistance of glazed ceramic an porcelain tiles. It doesn't apply to unglazed porcelain, quarry or natural stone tiles.

5 most resistant for high traffic areas and 1 will scratch even if you sneeze in the same room.

And yes, r9 slippy, r13 not slippy. Although in my opinion, some r ratings can be unreliable, seen test certificates where several r9s have outperformed r10s and even some r11s. Ask your supplier if they have the PTV test results. Anything with a rating of 36+ in the wet will be fine, but the higher the better.
Is the PEI and slip rating universally recognised or is it just for the UK?

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
No,Not specifically, I live in Zambia and just wondered if the ratings applied here.
Most tiles here are imported from South Africa and China. I’m currently using tiles from Italy ( via SA) just wondered if the same ratings apply.

T

Tile Shop

Is the PEI and slip rating universally recognised or is it just for the UK?

The PEI rating is tested under the international standard ISO 10545-7 and recognised worldwide.

The R rating is given by the German standard DIN51130 test and is used internationally as the most popular test method, but some manufacturers will have there own preferred test method (particularly Spain who are now more commonly using ENV12633 which is a variation of the pendulum test) so an R rating may not always be available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to PEI and Slip rating in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock