Discuss pebbles for area under shower - how to fix in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

hfj

TF
Reaction score
Hello. I'm building a shower/wet area in my upstairs bathroom. It's got a timber floor. I'm using a pre-formed wetroom tray which has a central drain.

I want to use flat pebbles as a base in the shower area. They are a variety of sizes from 15mm to 45mm diameter.

I've got the pebbles, but I am not sure what I should be using to bed them down on the wetroom tray. The pebbles are dark grey, and I was looking to use a dark grey grout in between.

Should I put down a layer of tile adhesive first, bed the pebbles in that, and then grout between? Or something else?

Any suggestions on how to get a smooth, fluid appearance of the 'grout' between the stones?

Any suggestions on the type of adhesive (if needed) and grout that I should use?

Thanks!

H

hmtiling

I'd use a good s1 adhesive.
You may find that you have to strip the edges of the sheets as they often don't tessellate too well. Dry lay them first to see. I'd also recommend using a wide joint grout like Bal wideflex.

Q

Qwerty

Have you actually stepped onto them with bare feet? Not the most comfortable surface to be showering on

F

Flintstone

I know some do but personally I wouldn't have pebble on a wet tray in my home. The best way to get them perfect or as you want would be to remove them all from the sheets and fit them individually.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ive got a funny feeling that hfj is using real pebbles.

I would advise using mosaic pebbles (on a sheet). They will be pretty flat and spaced close together. The matted backing holding them together will hold them to the shower tray. Grouting would be easier too.

Reply to pebbles for area under shower - how to fix in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks