Discuss Paving slabs over existing crazy paving in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rita

Hi, just joined and would appreciate some advice.

I have 20 year old crazy paving style paths with cement grout outside. I want something new and easier to keep clean. The existing grouting is cracking in 20%, the paving is solid to walk on. My question is can I lay new slabs over the top of existing crazy paving on a sand/cement base or should I have existing paths taken up. I am not sure of the size of the area but to me it's a large area. Also most slabs I have seen are either sand or lime stone, is one harder wearing, more colour retentive than the other? Thanks.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes. Put a weed block membrane down first then Lay a layer of weak sharp sand and cement. About 7 or 8 to 1 is plenty strong enough. Use a rubber mallet to bed the slave into the sand cement mix.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your crazy paving will just act as hardcore.

B

Blunt Tool

Hi, just joined and would appreciate some advice.

I have 20 year old crazy paving style paths with cement grout outside. I want something new and easier to keep clean. The existing grouting is cracking in 20%, the paving is solid to walk on. My question is can I lay new slabs over the top of existing crazy paving on a sand/cement base or should I have existing paths taken up. I am not sure of the size of the area but to me it's a large area. Also most slabs I have seen are either sand or lime stone, is one harder wearing, more colour retentive than the other? Thanks.
Just be sure that if the paving is right beside your house that the new paved height does not cover the houses damp course if it does you would be better to take up old paving first :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just reread my post... don't use a rubber mallet to bed the slave.... that would be very wrong indeed and possibly illegal... use it to bed the slabs instead... LOL

S

SJPurdy

Just be sure that if the paving is right beside your house that the new paved height does not cover the houses damp course if it does you would be better to take up old paving first :)
Good point but surface of the paving (or any other solid surface) adjacent to a house wall should remain at least 150mm below the damp proof course, is my understanding of building regs.
If retaining the existing crazy paving as a base then ensure that it is all solidly bedded down and non of it is rocking as you walk over it otherwise the instability will just pass up into the new overlying layer.

Reply to Paving slabs over existing crazy paving in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks