Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Paramount wall board in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
My first post so please be gentle :smilewinkgrin:

I am preparing to start our bathroom project. I am a competent DIYer but no professional. The room is roughly 2.1 x 2.1m. The house was built in the early 90s and the upstairs partitions are made from paramount wall boarding. I have drilled some exploratory holes and can find no timber studding - only appears to be timber at the top, bottom and extreme sides. One wall is an external wall with window and this is dry lined.

I have some porcelain tiles, 600x300mm, which weigh in at a whisker under 20kg/m2. These will be fixed with Mapei https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

The bathroom currently contains a bath, toilet & sink. I am adding a shower over the new bath and will be constructing a partition section at the exterior wall end to accommodate the shower gubbins. I intend to construct this from stud woodwork and cover with 20mm Wedi board and tile directly onto this.

It was my intention to cover the existing partition wall alongside the bath with Wedi board and tile straight onto this. However, following my explorations I can see that I have no studwork to fix the Wedi board to. I was intending to use 12.5mm Wedi board.

So I'm left with a dilemma. The bathroom is part-tiled, the rest is painted. My main priority is to ensure that the substrate for tile is exactly as it needs to be. If this means more work then so be it (I'm currently time rich). The intention is to fully tile the new bathroom.

My current thinking is that I can't tile onto the paramount boarding - weight loading and also no good fixing for the Wedi board. Clearly all the paint needs to be removed in any case. I am leaning towards carefully removing the bathroom side plasterboard skin of the paramount wall board, constructing a stud framework according to Wedi guidelines and then facing this with Wedi board - and tile straight onto it. I am thinking 12.5mm board for this purpose.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/guidance on my thinking. My main desire is to do the right job and get a finish that I can be proud of.

Thanks in advance for your help!

OP
C

Chris_911

Possibly not clear but I am thinking of removing ALL of the bathroom side plasterboard (except for the external drylined wall) as I am concerned over the wall loading.

Thanks.

OP
D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome..

your method is perfect... maybe some pics as you progress would be nice.

OP
D

DHTiling

But you will need to secure the other side to the stud work as the egg boxing (paramount) is what gives both sides strength..

OP
C

Chris_911

Yes, agreed.

Have already informed my wife that there will be some overspill into the other rooms with this job. But it's only minor - just a few screws to secure the other side of the paramount boarding to the new studwork. Bit of filler and paint and she shouldn't know the difference!

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/guidance on good technique for removing one side of the paramount board without wrecking the wall.....

OP
D

DHTiling

Cut the bathroom side into smaller sections with a pad saw, this will make it easier to remove from the egg boxing and less chance of damage to the other side.

OP
M

Melanie

Hi, I have the same problem with one of the walls in my bathroom, the otherside is a bedroom (newly decorated) with paramount plasterboard.

The bathroom wall has tiles to the ceiling, well stuck on and removing them with a hammer and chilsel will definitely damage the bathroom side plaster board one of the options I have is to tile over tiles which doesn't sit right with me, esp as I am concerned about how much weight the wall can take.

Chris would you be able to provide an update as to how successful this method was and whether it went to plan and how much disruption was caused in the other room?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to Paramount wall board in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock