Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Outer edge border tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Tom1402

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

Im looking for some suggestions/advice on how to tile a wall outer corner with the following border tile, images attached below.

Can anyone recommend the best finish for these?

Thanks.

IMG_2179.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG

OP
T

Tom1402

Thats what I was thinking to give the best looking finish but was hoping there might be a simpler way!

Whats the best way to achieve a good mitre? I do have a wet tile saw yes.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Perfect, you should be able to tilt the table of the wet saw to do mitres.

OP
T

Tom1402

Could doing this potentially damage the crackle finish on the tile?

Sorry I dont understand your question, there will be multiple outer corners where two border tiles will butt together using a mitre (hopefully!).

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Could doing this potentially damage the crackle finish on the tile?

Sorry I dont understand your question, there will be multiple outer corners where two border tiles will butt together using a mitre (hopefully!).
No will not damage finish on tile as long as you have a decent diamond blade on wet saw and it is not worn out and make sure there is plenty of water in tank. I would suggest holding the two border tiles together at 90 degree angles so that you can see which way the mitre on each tile will need to be cut then Place in wet saw and line up so that the blade will cut required angle

OP
T

Tom1402

Thanks very much for your help.

The tile attached below will be tiled in metro style with the border along the top to finish. How would you finish these at the same outer corners?
ZoomImageCream_flat1329913188_1.jpg

Thanks

OP
T

Tom1402

Thank you.

I have a very basic wet saw, a Titan saw brought from Screwfix. Looking at the manual it suggests it will cut 45 degree angles so hopefully it will work!

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Thank you.

I have a very basic wet saw, a Titan saw brought from Screwfix. Looking at the manual it suggests it will cut 45 degree angles so hopefully it will work!
If you have plenty of tiles and you have some broken ones use them to practice with first. Take it nice and easy and don't push too hard and let the blade do the job :)

OP
T

Tile Shop

I had a bit of practice with these recently. Had a guy saying that some of the glaze on the plain flat tile was chipping when using a wet cutter, but found a couple of things helped.

TIP 1: If using a wet saw, seal them first with a crackle glaze sealer. This will give a bit of extra bond strength to the glaze and the ceramic base.

TIP 2: Score the tile first with a manual cutter, and run the wet saw blade up against the score line. It may help to slightly enlarge the cut by as little as half a mm and file the last bit down to size using a 100 diamond pad. This score line will act as a stopper and prevent excess chipping on the "good side". This is going to prove pretty tricky on the dados as it will need to be scored at 45 degree angle, but try wet cutting one first with out scoring. If it chips, try scoring it carefully with a pencil scribe.

Reaction score
How du get on tom? Also did know if u have to fill the gap at the top half of the dado with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

OP
T

Tom1402

Hi

Just started the job today. I sealed all the tiles id be wet cutting first, there are a few tiles where the glaze has come away a tiny bit on the cut edges (the border tile are worse for this than the flat tile) but im not too fussed as once its all grouted it will look fine.

Matt I did fill the gap in the border tile with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

Heres some pics of the first wall I attempted.

IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2199.JPG

Reply to Outer edge border tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock