Discuss Opinions on this appalling "professional" tiling job? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

To all, sorry! It’s a pretty stressful situation. But as I’ve stated, 80% of the worst offending work was all completed at the very end. He must have been leaving the most difficult parts, and we honestly thought that we could probably live with how it was looking by the end of the 2nd week, as at that point, he had not cut any of the edging tiles, or around the window. All the while he was assuring us that it would all be cleaned up and look good when finished.

I appreciate everyone’s advice. I was merely looking for opinions on the workmanship, as we just wanted to make sure we weren’t being “fussy” customers and our issues were justified.

PS. @callatiler Not sure I’ve been using a sharp tounge several times? It was just once. But hey ho. As I’ve said a few times now, I did call him out, a few times but (again, as above) he reassured us. It’s all very easy to on your side of the situation and just say “you should have stopped it” but it’s not a simple as that.
Dude! If you read my post again I didn’t ever say several times! As for you was wanting to know if you were just being fussy and just wanted opinions I don’t believe you as look and read your thread headline!!!

Reaction score
Dude! If you read my post again I didn’t ever say several times! As for you was wanting to know if you were just being fussy and just wanted opinions I don’t believe you as look and read your thread headline!!!
The thread headline of “Opinions on this appalling professional tiling job” you mean?

I’m lost, that’s clearly what I’m asking for.

Anyway, I’m not getting at you, I’m just happy to read people’s thoughts on the work.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's a common phrase here, it means take the bull by the horns. I'm guessing from the reaction it caused it's not a phrase that's used in the UK.

Not heard it before but will be using wherever possible.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That is the worst tiling job l have ever seen in nearly 50 years working in the building Industry.
Whoever did that should not be let loose In anyone’s property ever! Again.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMO you should not pay anything until the work is carried out to a reasonable quality. Clearly it is not currently in that state. A contractor accepting a contract must be able to demonstrate the necessary level of skill to carry out the requirements of said contract otherwise he falls foul of basic contract law. In this instance the tiling has not been carried out with what, in the opinion of many tilers on here, would be considered the necessary skill. This means you have a defence in law as well as being protected by the supply of goods and services act 1982.

Reaction score
Something I’ve just realised is he tiles straight on to ordinary plasterboard in the shower enclosure. That’s not right is it, from what ive now researched?

Also I’m now reading that a decoupling membrane should have been used on the floor before tiling. Is that correct, too? This is an upstairs bathroom with regular plank floorboards. I know he used thin plywood sheets over these.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Plasterboard is fine in the shower as long as it’s tanked.
Thin ply overlay is not much good, I always tile my floors on 6mm Hardie screwed and glued.

Not that it really matters now, it’s got to all come out anyway.

Reaction score
Plasterboard is fine in the shower as long as it’s tanked.
Thin ply overlay is not much good, I always tile my floors on 6mm Hardie screwed and glued.

Not that it really matters now, it’s got to all come out anyway.
Hmm, ok thanks. Just building a list of everything he’s done wrong at the moment. Have a couple of new tilers in for quotes and they’ve both said the same as everyone here. Start again.

What would have been involved in tanking it because I don’t remember seeing anything other than the plasterboard?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It’s normally a membrane that is painted on, can be grey or blue in colour.
It can also be a matting type like Homelux.

W

Waluigi

looking at the tiling, I fully expected there would be no tanking. It’s another thing that gets left off when people are trying to save time and money or are ignorant to why it’s used.

Reaction score
He must be stopped from ripping other people off. It's harsh, but the tiling is so bad that you should seriously consider suing him for the cost of putting it right. He's misled you by claiming to be a professional tradesman. Small claims court.

Reply to Opinions on this appalling "professional" tiling job? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks