Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Opinions on this appalling "professional" tiling job? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
C
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
How did he manage to get so much work done?

Shame you didn’t flag it sooner and put a halt to his work.

Lost of reasons, sadly.

Personal ones:

He is an acquaintance, so that's the initial awkwardness. A very heavily pregnant wife who has now had 2 blokes in the house for her first 2+ weeks of maternity. I’m very busy at work, coming home late most nights in preparation for paternity. This has left my embarrassed wife at home to deal with him through the day. But both of us have felt embarrassed about the whole thing, feeling like we were giving him the benefit of the doubt when we HAD queried why some bits looked bad, his reassurance that it would be ok. Which leads me on to...

His reassurances and working process:

Problem is his process of working was all over the place. So things like all the last cuts for the small tiles around the edges of the walls, and the around the small shower recess, smaller cuts, the beading were all only done this week. How he’s fitted things has been completely haphazard, so some of the time it was difficult to see how it was going to end up. At times it looked like it might all end up ok, or that there was certain bits we could just live with to avoid the awkward conversation. It certainly looked that way when all the small mosiac tiles were in but without any of the edge cuts done. It really only became evident in the last couple of days. Prior to that he assured us that all the excess grout would be cleaned and it would be ok.

So yes, we DID call him up during the process, but if he then only did 80% of the absolute worst parts only this week then I couldn’t pull the plug before.

OP
C
Reaction score
Did he supply any materials?

If he has you will need to pay for anything he has supplied, and hold back any payment for the labour.
Just plumbing supplies and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Everything else we supplied.

W

Waluigi

thanks for explaining. This is sometimes what we forget, how awkward this stuff can be. Nobody likes complaining but nobody should be expected to put up with that!

I

Italy

I've been on this forum for over 10 years and it is the worst I've seen.
So it's a "winner" in that regard at least!
this also...:(

64773-1dcd80ca31da32caff52e956e21cc745.jpg 64775-d15339b9a813361db34155330cd02d3b.jpg 64774-51055ce91f1bf6e614a380a29dc2eeaa.jpg 64779-eb08cc2f21073135d84c2af82097dd60.jpg 64778-7c52c579658eb713e084dd6edfd5fe82.jpg 64777-49b2d9be11a4c7e003528751f7a7b20d.jpg

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just plumbing supplies and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Everything else we supplied.

In a way that’s better for you then, don’t pay him a penny.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
M

Marvo

If he's an acquaintance and given you were reluctant to snag his work whilst it was ongoing then maybe you owe it to him to put on some big boy panties and get him back on site to explain in person why you're not satisfied and offer him at least a fair opportunity to make it right. Also tell him that you think the job is unsalvageable without starting again from scratch and as it stands that's exactly what you're considering via an alternative contractor ......but maybe he's got some rabbits he can pull out of hats.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
“Big boy panties” :tearsofjoy:

Love it.

OP
C
Reaction score
If he's an acquaintance and given you were reluctant to snag his work whilst it was ongoing then maybe you owe it to him to put on some big boy panties and get him back on site to explain in person why you're not satisfied and offer him at least a fair opportunity to make it right. Also tell him that you think the job is unsalvageable without starting again from scratch and as it stands that's exactly what you're considering via an alternative contractor ......but maybe he's got some rabbits he can pull out of hats.
Dude! Have actually read any of my posts? Give them another read.

I HAVE spoke to him, several times and for a final time over the phone to discuss exactly why we weren’t happy after sending all of the 70 pics above.

He definitely does not have to skill to put it right. So perhaps you could put on your sarcastic bellend pants and give me some more of your advice?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Unbelievably bad...........and if you’ve got nothing in writing, then your going to have problems.

Rip out and start again is the ONLY way forward.

Reply to Opinions on this appalling "professional" tiling job? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock