Discuss Opinions/advice please in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Macmad

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Looking for some professional opinions. We are disappointed with our wet room tiling. We would appreciate opinions - is this standard of finish ok? Are we unrealistic to expect better? We were particularly keen to ensure a high standard of finish and our opinion is there are problems with tiles not sharply cut i.e. chipped edges and differing gaps. Plus we don't understand why the grout on the diagonals looks whiteish rather than the darker grey we had anticipated!

IMG_7014.JPG IMG_7015.JPG IMG_7016.JPG IMG_7017.JPG IMG_7018.JPG IMG_7019.JPG IMG_7020.JPG

B

Bill

The cuts are shoddy and should be chip free - there are a number of ways to achieve this from a professional tilers view.

The grout colour difference is usually caused by; wrong mixing, too much water when cleaning off, tile adhesive bleed through or poor quality grout.

I would halt proceedings before the walls are started.

F

Flintstone

Bad cuts, And bad grouting. Too much water during Washing off usually. Not to speculate but I wonder what his fixing methods are like ?

O

Old Mod

You’d be within your rights to reject it.
Grout appears to be suffering efflorescence, it occurs when too much moisture is present. As it dries so slowly, mineral salts are drawn up through the grout and deposits are left behind.
Or possibly very poorly prepared.
The cut edges are well below standard.
All of these edges are cut, no factory edges at all.
3161F539-9EDD-440A-AB33-F9B195F6AF43.jpeg

Macmad

TF
Reaction score
Thank you 3_fall. I can see a massive difference in the quality - your pic is what we were expecting our job to look like. Thank you all for your advices. Our tiler has been very respectful and is pulling up the wet room area as we speak and then has decided not to continue the job as he is unable to get a better cut - he wonder if the tiles themselves may not be ideal? These tiles are the Regal Ash Matt from Topps tiles - does anyone agree with this opinion regarding this range of tiles?

O

Old Mod

To be brutally honest, when it comes to porcelain, no matter how hard the material, even if it chips with the best blade, you can make it look presentable.
Obviously some are much more difficult than others.
If they’re actually defective, the normal signs are that it won’t cut in a straight line, it’ll veer off line, wet cut or dry cut.
If it’s just ragged edges, there’s ways of tidying it up.

Macmad

TF
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your responses. This really helped us today. We're now sorted with a new tiler, a bit of a delay to the end date of our project (!) but worth it to get the desired finish. Much appreciated.

Reply to Opinions/advice please in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks