Discuss Opinion of tiling job so far in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AngryBunny

Hello,

Please could any tilers provide their opinion of the tiling job I've had done so far. I'd like to share with him...

IMG_3721.JPG IMG_3723.JPG IMG_3725.JPG IMG_3726.JPG

O

One Day

Well it's good to see an interest in safety, however, I think he would be better off swapping the safety specs for some prescription specs.
I see major lippage, terrible trims with no mitres, chippy cuts and inexplicably large gaps.
Got any more pics, maybe less close up?

A

AngryBunny

He's due to come tomorrow to lay the UFH Mat.

I'm very tempted to tell him to collect his tools and leave. He's a plumber by trade but had good reviews on a well known site for fitting bathrooms.

I'm obviously a little apprehensive in doing that but I'm worried he's going to screw things up more.

IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG

O

One Day

Is he cheap? Not meaning to be flippant but if there are many people who have reviewed him positively, perhaps they have lower expectations? Personally I couldn't live with it.

O

One Day

He's used tanking in the shower, ditra I can see, his set out looks OK from what I can see, just the lips gaps and mitres, attention to fine detail letting it down?

A

AngryBunny

No, he's not particularly cheap.

The bathroom suite is all german brands and good quality tiles.

I chose him mainly as he was a gas safe registered plumber (I didn't want the bathroom to leak, water). I assumed he would be professional.

His labour costs are £xxxx for a small ensuite - wetroom (3 sq metres).

The ensuite costs about xxxxk in total.

I've paid him xxxxk already so I'm thinking of telling him I am going to get a third party to review his work and I am stopping all work with immediate effect. I am feeling pressured by him to complete the job so I think this is best.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AngryBunny

PS I live in central London, so the overall budget was just over xxxxxk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filip

TF
Reaction score
It doesn't take a tiler to see that those first pictures are especially shocking. You have got to say something.

A

AngryBunny

I kicked him off the project this morning.

He has said he knows a good tiler and I said I would be prepared to see him tomorrow but he must have good references.

Are there any 'good' questions I can ask a tiler to know if they're any good?

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Seriously a good tiler will point out the mistakes and rectify them . I would also remove a tile to see if there is good coverage if not i would take them all down

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tell him to put things right before he goes any further as you are quite rightly not happy with his work ,see how he reacts ,if badly tell him to leave the house Pronto and then take things further at least then you have given him chance to make things right and he will be extra careful hopefully

A

AngryBunny

Tell him to put things right before he goes any further as you are quite rightly not happy with his work ,see how he reacts ,if badly tell him to leave the house Pronto and then take things further at least then you have given him chance to make things right and he will be extra careful hopefully

This is pretty much what I've done.

He's going to send around a 'real' tiler tomorrow for a chat with me.

I'd like to give him the chance to put things right however I'm obviously cautious.

Reply to Opinion of tiling job so far in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks