Discuss One For The Newbies - How Do They Get Around Taking On Work Above Their Skill Level? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

philrab66

I do occasional tiling when I am asked by customers, I can do it to a reasonable standard but but never tackled anything complicated. I have read loads of posts on here where newbies are going out and quoting for fairly complicated jobs. I was just wondering how these people explain to the customer it is beyond there skill level or what do they say?
Phil.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They can be completely honest and say they are learning and that's out of their depth.

Or they can blag it and risk screwing a job up with somebody else's money.

They need to be careful though whatever they do. Ideally they need to perhaps pass the work on to an experienced tiler and then labour for them for free or get a small wage or something considering they've passed the work on. Maybe.

U

Unused Account 1

Spot on dan ,tell the truth ,theyll appreciatte your honesty ,then you get a tiler to do it ,and labour .learning in the process and youve still kept the customer happy

O

Old Mod

I do occasional tiling when I am asked by customers, I can do it to a reasonable standard but but never tackled anything complicated. I have read loads of posts on here where newbies are going out and quoting for fairly complicated jobs. I was just wondering how these people explain to the customer it is beyond there skill level or what do they say?
Phil.

Have u a job in mind Phil? :D

I think even experienced fixers find themselves in that predicament!

P

philrab66

Have u a job in mind Phil? :D

I think even experienced fixers find themselves in that predicament!
No 3 fall nothing lined up just curious. Keep thinking about getting into tiling I do enjoy it but do not have enough experience to make the step. Things like setting out for complicated patterns with borders.

O

Old Mod

No 3 fall nothing lined up just curious. Keep thinking about getting into tiling I do enjoy it but do not have enough experience to make the step. Things like setting out for complicated patterns with borders.

If you're talking about Geo fixing, then don't even worry about it.
There's only a small percentage of fixers that will take that work on, well if they're experienced! Cos they know it takes a particular skill.
Tbh that kind of work will be a rare request ordinarily.
If u do get one, well what are we here for! :)
Look back through the threads, the forums helped loads of guys tackle Geo!

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm a newbie Phil and when I go to quote for work I'm always honest to the customer, id rather explain where I'm at in terms of experience and let them decide, as I got in to the trade to a good job and be in it long term, I don't think lying and blaging through the jobs will keep me in work and in the trade for long, yes I may not get all the work I go for but I won't be a newbie forever. Just like the plastering, two years on I'm very confident I can tackle most situations I come across, but as 3 fall said, this forum will help a lot.

S

Spare Tool

9 years in n I'm still winging it :) learning on every job..
For example done one straight herringbone in that time, was crapping mysel but turned out fine.
The next two floors after this one are both herrings, and one on the eeeek 45, you just gotta use what you do know n crack on, n if you don't know ask someone you trust to give you the heads up and right advice ;) or if all else fails post it on here..haha

M

mattle40

I think the term "fake it till you make it" fits here. I think we've all done it to a point but you've got to be realistic about things. Know where your talent lies.
I'm competent at joinery, but I wouldn't go build somebody a spiral staircase claiming to be one, although I'd happily hang a door or fit a kitchen.
If you find yourself in the middle of quoting a job and feel you're in too deep, just take a minute to think, then be honest about the options. If that means you lose the job, it's still better than having to rip your work back out.

P

philrab66

If you're talking about Geo fixing, then don't even worry about it.
There's only a small percentage of fixers that will take that work on, well if they're experienced! Cos they know it takes a particular skill.
Tbh that kind of work will be a rare request ordinarily.
If u do get one, well what are we here for! :)
Look back through the threads, the forums helped loads of guys tackle Geo!

No nothing that complicated, say a herringbone with a border maybe.

Reply to One For The Newbies - How Do They Get Around Taking On Work Above Their Skill Level? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks