Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Old plaster came away, render looks solid and flat what do i need to seal it with prior to tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

paul cumpo

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All,
Have just started removing the tiles in an old bathroom and the plaster is coming off with the old tiles but the render remains in tact and in decent condition, the surface appears to be solid, dry and flat.
Do I need to apply a primer prior to tile? is a fairly wet room so don't want to make any errors in preparation but also on a fairly tight budget.
Added a photo of the area.
Thanks in advance for any advise.
Paul

20180121_155409.jpg

OP
Q

Qwerty

Remove all plaster down to render. Brush or vacuum down, seal with an acrylic primer or SBR and then tank if required

OP
P

paul cumpo

yeah it could be a first skim of plaster, ideally wanted to seal it then tile straight onto it, would have been there years.

OP
P

paul cumpo

so am I better applying a thin top coat to it before plastering or do I need to remove it all and board, assuming the 2nd one is the most costly

OP
P

paul cumpo

Ok ive made the decision to remove all the bonding or first skim (whatever its best know as) and go back to the brickwork. Ive done a fair bit of plasterboarding but never aquaboarding and to me this looks an expensive option and could be tricky to do around the window area so thinking it might be cheaper to plasterboard and then tank the area around bath/shower.

OP
Q

Qwerty

A good option. This way you can ensure levels and is actually the most cost effective way

OP
P

paul cumpo

Ive never tanked an area before.does it consist of taping the plasterboard joints and then painting the area with a waterproof sealer?

OP
Q

Qwerty

Ive never tanked an area before.does it consist of taping the plasterboard joints and then painting the area with a waterproof sealer?

Pretty much yes. A good kit for DIY use is Mapei Mapegum WPS which is widely available all over the place. Good demo videos on YouTube

Reply to Old plaster came away, render looks solid and flat what do i need to seal it with prior to tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock