Discuss Not all hardiebacker is made equal? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Morning all. Just a couple questions.

1. For ANYONE who has installed hardiebacker. Do you leave the 3mm gap in the corner of wall then fill with adhesive and fibatape or butt up close to the other wall when installing hardiebacker in corners?
20180421_082902.jpg

or
20180421_082817.jpg

2. I recently purchased hardiebacker. While working with the sheets I noticed I was running into problems despite my wall being plum. I then realised it was because some of the boards were warped/bent/bumpy. Here I was thinking my level was broken and the wall was not sound. Also some boards were not the exact same size, I'm talking from mm-cm differences, which was not fun when lining up.
Is it normal or do you think the sheets were "factory seconds" I did get cheaper than topps.
20180419_094650.jpg
View attachment 98287
20180420_143055.jpg

20180419_084027.jpg

20180419_084158.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don’t think your meant to line them up!
Staggered bond and well screwed is the order of the day!
Yes, I know that the joints are not meant to meet. I'm talking about the line for 3mm gap. I can have a line from top to bottom without all four corners meeting.When they are not the same size, its a problem to keep flush with the last board, causing bigger keeps for the next.
20180421_085520.jpg

B

Bill

Yes, I know that the joints are not meant to meet. I'm talking about the line for 3mm gap. I can have a line from top to bottom without all four corners meeting.When they are not the same size, its a problem to keep flush with the last board, causing bigger keeps for the next.
View attachment 98292
Once you have filled and taped the joints, you won't be able to tell if they line up or not.

No problem there.

O

On one

Yes,the boards sometimes come warped.
And even though they are classed as 6mm they seem a bit fatter than that.
I only use them on overboarding floors,where accuracy isn't that important.........for me,easier and better products available for use on walls.

Reaction score
Yes,the boards sometimes come warped.
And even though they are classed as 6mm they seem a bit fatter than that.
I only use them on overboarding floors,where accuracy isn't that important.........for me,easier and better products available for use on walls.
I'm using 12mm. What better products for walls?

Reply to Not all hardiebacker is made equal? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks