Discuss None Paying Customer - What advice? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
So then guys, completed a tiled floor for a private customer based on an accepted written quotation of £1400. Customer very happy with the work, have texts from them to say how happy they are with the floor. Finished the job on the friday and they said they would bank transfer by monday. Long and short of it is that 7 weeks later and still no payment. Apparently they've had a family problem which is the excuse for not having the funds to pay. They have paid £200 as i encouraged them to pay weekly at no interest if they were struggling as little and often is better than none at all. They made one payment then stopped.
So as it stands i am owed £1200.

First time ive had this situation, what do you recommend?

Q

Qwerty

Put outstanding invoice in writing, sent recorded signed for delivery and send via email with read receipt. Clearly state final payment terms and what action that will be taken if payment not made by specified date. Legal action costs, but small claims court would be your best bet as a last resort.

Do you have any T&C's for new business?

D

Dumbo

I know a guy who runs a painting and decorating business who will turn up on their door at 2 o clock in the morning and ask for payment . He said it's surprising how people react to that .

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Burn his house down.... :)

Seriously Geoff (plantec) has said all you need to do.
I have a copy of the kind of letter you need to send.... I'll dig it out later and post it on here.

Reaction score
I’ve been in contact over phone and text but not in person yet (jobs a little way out and don’t want to be investing more wasted time to it) the guy seems genuine enough, just rubbish with money I think. I didn’t worry when taking the job on as they offered payment (how much I don’t know) before I started but I don’t like doing that unless I’ve forked out on materials so I said full payment on completion. Kind of regretting that now.
After giving them a 7 day deadline to pay I’ve now passed this on to these guys at www.thomashiggins.com see if that makes any difference when they get solicitors letters through.

The other part of me thinks £800 and I’d sell the debt and let someone else try

Reaction score
Turn up with your kids on the doorstep and say this is the guy who is stopping us having Xmas this year ! May work ? I offered to drive mine from west wales to north east England to a large holiday park owners offices because I was struggling to get a cheque sent I told the girl I'd feed all 4 smarties and coke all the way and then leave em run around her office when we got there ! Payment in full 2 days later ! Not many slip through ! And those who do ...... I have a good memory !

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Small Claim Court would be the best option. I am in Court proceedings with two clients as we speak, it will take forever to get you a court hearing but you will get most of your money back. Once they agreed on a written estimate they are pretty much screwed.
Been there done that!

D

Dumbo

Bathroom company that I deal with fills out the forms for small claims court with the date he going to submit it on then photo copies it and post them a copy . He says it works most times .

Reply to None Paying Customer - What advice? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks