Discuss No more ply - Priming in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm installing my bathroom. I've used No More Ply around the shower area walls and on the whole floor. The instructions say to prime it with their SBR primer to waterproof the boards.

I have bought Mapei Rapid Set Flexi to tile the walls and floor. The instructions on this say I must use Mapei Primer G. Will I be ok to just use the No More Ply SBR instead?

Also, outside of the shower enclosure my walls are just skimmed plasterboard (my tiles are only 10cm x 20cm). I'm half tiling and half painting these walls. Should I use Mapei Primer G here or, again, will the SBR be ok?

Thanks

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Firstly SBR is not waterproof only water resistant, you may want to consider tanking/waterproofing shower walls. SBR should be good for all else.

G

GoneGuy

I would get a tanking kit and tape joints and screw holes and seal the board s no more ply is only water resistant.
Use the sbr on the floor prior to Tiling

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your replies.

I'm confused now because I checked this before with No More Ply and they said...

"Thank you for the further information. You do not need to tank over NoMorePly®, as it is waterproof (providing the joints are sealed with Megastrength and it’s primed with NoMorePly® primer as per instructions)."

I got confused when the Mapei Addy instructions said I must use Mapei Primer G, as I think it's impossible to follow both sets of instructions?

Thanks

F

Flintstone

It’s a bit mis leading imo. There system involves gluing the joints to seal them. As you said, they say that simply using sbr on the face will make it water proof. I don’t beleive it, after asking the rep about it, he said they have done a Ribena test on it. Primed it and put a droplet of Ribena on and left it 24 hours and it didn’t soak in so it must be water proof :eek:

F

Freddy

Firstly SBR is not waterproof only water resistant, you may want to consider tanking/waterproofing shower walls. SBR should be good for all else.
Strange as on the tub it dies actually say waterproof primer

Reply to No more ply - Priming in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks