Discuss No More Ply, Or Insulation Boards? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

how do chaps, been reading on here from time to time and thought I would sign up, so,ex good info on here.
I have a job coming up, 90sqm or large format porcelain.
The floor is concrete and is having underfloor heating mat throughout. The question is what to put down first, just concerned about the foam boards, apparently, the tech support for the foam boards said a 6mm screed of slc would be required over the wires to give it the strength. Sounds dodg to me. no more ply stuck down with flexi rapid gonna be a good option ?

F

Flintstone

I've tiled over them previously on a concrete floor and it didn't feel rock solid under foot.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There more than strong enough......I know they don't look like much but it's all about spreading the weight, ...

F

Flintstone

Just stuck down with rapid set? Is there anything wrong with sticking no more ply down with rapid ?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Think you will find most tilers on here tile over insulation boards with no issues at all...........
I thought no more ply had to be stuck with there own glue.

O

On one

The think the only reason for concern for using insulation boards on such a large area would be if you used really thin boards and there was a risk of the boards being compressed too much by people trampling over them prior to laying the SLC.
If you can control/prevent who is walking over them there shouldn't be a problem.

T

Tile Shop

On a solid base, Marmox Multiboard can handle 40 tonnes per m2. Does King Kong visit often? It has been designed with this very purpose in mind, so I doubt very much its going to fail. The SLC will also help evenly spread the weight and heat distribution.

Also, using nomoreply will allow heat to go down into the subfloor aswell as up.... It will therefore run less efficiently and your running costs will be higher.

F

Flintstone

Apparently the tech support for whichever thermal board company said the thin 6mm board isn't strong enough for the job!

Reply to No More Ply, Or Insulation Boards? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks