Discuss No More Ply for laying 600x300 porcelain in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hmtiling

Cheers for the help lads. The reason I wanted to double up the 6mm is that it is much more dense than the 12 mm and I thought it would give a stronger floor.

Another option would be to put 12mm ply down and tank it. Does any one still use ply.
If you really want to strengthen the floor go with permat. It gives a 10 year deflection warranty

Colo

TF
Reaction score
If you really want to strengthen the floor go with permat. It gives a 10 year deflection warranty

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I have just looked at that Permat and its only 3mm thick I have read their claims but I do not think anything 3mm is going to add much strength.(probably due to my inexperience). I am really struggling to get my head around these modern materials.

I think I would probably be better off with 6mm No More Ply as you said earlier.

What would you think about using 12mm plywood with Ditra Matting.

I do appreciate any advice from you lads.

H

hmtiling

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I have just looked at that Permat and its only 3mm thick I have read their claims but I do not think anything 3mm is going to add much strength.(probably due to my inexperience). I am really struggling to get my head around these modern materials.

I think I would probably be better off with 6mm No More Ply as you said earlier.

What would you think about using 12mm plywood with Ditra Matting.

I do appreciate any advice from you lads.
The 6mm nmp should be fine. Permat is an amazing product and definitely superior to nmp in this situation as it's a decoupler too. Make sure the sub floor is screwed not nailed down and use a decent s1 or s2 if you're worried.

W

Waluigi

After reading your first post and checking the joist sizing and span I don’t think you have anything to worry about. As mentioned, 6 or 12mm NMP, HB or even Aquapanel. Glued, screwed and taped with alkaline resistent tape if the manufacturer recomends it.

I haven’t used NMP before but if you tile onto HB or Aquapanel then the tile, Adhesive and board will be Monolithic which is what you want.

T

Time's Ran Out

Cheaper/better alternatives.
Which are?
The 6mm nmp should be fine. Permat is an amazing product and definitely superior to nmp in this situation as it's a decoupler too. Make sure the sub floor is screwed not nailed down and use a decent s1 or s2 if you're worried.
After reading your first post and checking the joist sizing and span I don’t think you have anything to worry about. As mentioned, 6 or 12mm NMP, HB or even Aquapanel. Glued, screwed and taped with alkaline resistent tape if the manufacturer recomends it.

I haven’t used NMP before but if you tile onto HB or Aquapanel then the tile, Adhesive and board will be Monolithic which is what you want.

There you go.

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
Interesting thread. On an upstaris bathroom with suspended wood floor, i was planning to use 18mm marine ply or wpb (is one better than the other). But seeing this, I'm wondering if this nmp equivalent in strength? Ideally wanting height gain to be as little as possible. I'm inclined to gather from this thread that 6mm nmp would be an alternative. Am I wrong, have i missed something, or is the nmp in addtion to the 18mm ply? (Though in that case it would make the no more ply name rather misleading!) Also for 60x30 porcs.

Colo

TF
Reaction score
Hello Raccus,

The No More Ply is meant as an alternative to over boarding. I rang their rep and they claim it has the same strength as 18mm ply.

I am still undecided. However, it is reassuring to know that some of the professional tilers on this forum use it and have no problems with it.

Col

Reply to No More Ply for laying 600x300 porcelain in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks