Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss No More Ply and Wedi Alternatives in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
OP
O

On one

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Jewson's, B&Q, CTD and so on are open to non trade customers.

OP
C

Chris Churchill

I didn't realize Jewsons was open to all. The GIFA board linked earlier only allowed trade accounts to access and cannot find a price to gauge any comparison. Interesting! Ill investigate further. Thank you.

In the meantime, Im still open to alternate suggestions aligned under the same criteria.

OP
C

Chris Churchill

So what are you going to replace the floorboards with?

I was looking for NMP, but cant find it. Open to alternatives, which the only one I can find is from Topps Tiles. Other people suggest a good quality 18mm marine or WBP, but thats lower in my preference.

OP
O

On one

I've never used those for the use as they are described but, the are a small board and to me will need a noggin under every unsupported edge to the minimise movement you are trying to eradicate.

OP
C

Chris Churchill

Exactly. Not a great substitute, plus its quite thick too - which led me here to see what the alternatives are :)
So far, it looks like I'm heading towards GIFA boards and badgering a buddy with an account if needs be. But am unclear on the benefits of GIFA vs Ply for this purpose as theres little online documentation on it.

Reaction score
Why not just order NMP boards for delivery? I don't understand why that's not an option?

I ordered a load from putradhesion online without issue (I am also based in London).

Additionally, sounds like we're going down the similar route.... I've reboarded my bathroom with NMP and will tank with Schluter kerdi but gotta fix the floor first. Anyway I'm really impressed with strength of the product for it's size.... I need that strength for the size of the tiles I'm fixing....

OP
C

Chris Churchill

Why not just order NMP boards for delivery? I don't understand why that's not an option?

I ordered a load from putradhesion online without issue (I am also based in London).

Additionally, sounds like we're going down the similar route.... I've reboarded my bathroom with NMP and will tank with Schluter kerdi but gotta fix the floor first. Anyway I'm really impressed with strength of the product for it's size.... I need that strength for the size of the tiles I'm fixing....

I would be happy to order NMP online. I just couldn't find where to get it from. Sounds like you've mastered Google more than me and found somewhere that sells it.

Would you be able to provide a link to the NMP youre using for the floor? The only one I can see on the pureadhesion site is too thin (12mm) - 12mm Tile Backer Boards, tiling board, No More Ply - https://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/no-more-ply-1200x800x12mm-tile-backer-boards.html

If that's the one you're flooring with, is that strong enough? I was looking for at least 18mm - preferably 22mm.

Either way though, sounds like you're going down the same path, so would love to hear your planned specs and end results.

Reaction score
If I can weigh in. If the floor is good then replacing it is a costly move. A product that isn't timber should you do that would give a superior surface to tile however as unlike timber it will not expand and contract. Movement is the enemy in tile.

Anti crack mats one thing to remember is they are designed for concrete, help regarding lateral movement ie shrinkage. They are not designed to help with vertical movement, the 'bounce' of a timber floor.

If the floor is solid, slightly bias but overboard with 6mm HardieBacker. Again walls we have a 12mm board which sounds like it could be ideal.

I have attached our installation guide which may be of use. Any questions please feel free to contact me anytime on here or 07827 974021.

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• 2018 HardieBacker Install Guide.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Reply to No More Ply and Wedi Alternatives in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock