Discuss Newbie with a bathroom project in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

been going through the forum for a few months picking up tips as I'm a DIYer with a bathroom project coming up soon. Thought I'd introduce myself as I've got to the point where I've got specific questions and it'd be great if you could look out for them on the forum and give some advice.

Here's the bathroom as it is right now:

30461_2103279_IMG_08_0000.jpg

Thanks to long-term water leakage round the shower bath the floors are all rotten and the walls aren't much better. Everything's been very poorly fitted.

So it's all coming out. The long wall along the bath and the short one where the shower is are paramount partitions. So I'll be studding these out and fixing Marmox/Jackoboard, as well as on the external wall for simplicity and a bit of extra insulation.

Floor will be replaced and covered with luxury vinyl planks (QuickStep Livyn Grey Slate).

Tiled areas will be basically the same as now, round the bath and the external wall, boxing too. The new bath will also have a tiled panel (access panel with Schluter REMA magnets).

The tiles we have decided on are these: (200 x 500 x 8mm ceramics)

Avon Pearl 200x500 - http://www.tilegiant.co.uk/tiles/bathroom/avon/avon-pearl-200x500.html

I'm thinking to use these decor tiles:

Avon Rio Grey Decor 200x500 - http://www.tilegiant.co.uk/avon-rio-grey-decor-200x500.html

to do a single strip up the middle of the long wall along the bath to make it more interesting. The long wall is about 1750 mm long, so that would be 3 whole tiles per row centered on the wall with two approx 125 mm cut pieces either side (tiles will be stacked bond horizontally).

Adhesive: Keraflex Maxi S1

Grout: Ultracolor plus in Manhattan (I was stuck between this and medium grey - I think Manhattan is slightly lighter than the tile and medium grey slightly darker, so as I don't want to draw attention to grout lines I think I will go for the lighter option...)

8mm trowel for these?

Not sure whether to go 2 or 3 mm for the grout lines. I don't want them too prominent but equally as they're not expensive tiles and I'm a DIYer 3 may be more forgiving.

Think that's the most pertinent bits. I haven't bought anything yet so if anything you read concerns you please let me know! I'll post some other questions in the main forums later - I think it makes it easier for others to find in the future.

Perhaps for now though - what cutting tools would you recommend? There seems to be quite a lot of conflicting advice on tools for DIYers. My brother had a rough time with a manual cutter and had to get a wet cutter in the end (he tends to buy budget though). Otherwise a lot of people on here at least seem to have recommended a decent manual cutter and an angle grinder.

Cheers!

T

Time's Ran Out

Now that's the way to do it. Research, planning then execution.
Good luck and enjoy.
See if you can hire a Rubi Ts 50 or similar size Sigma and your angle grinder with decent blade and you should be sorted .

T

Time's Ran Out

The search feature will bring up a supplier.
Forum sponsor Protiler tools.
Ats.
And others....

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome!

How are you getting on with your bathroom?

OP
L

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Hi, still in the planning stage. Making a shopping list at the moment.

Going back over everything I'm now a bit unsure about trowel size and type. My original thought was an 8mm square notched trowel would be OK but now I read that solid bed trowels should be used for wet areas. I was in any case going to back-butter but I'm a bit confused about trowels now.

And if a solid bed, do I need think or thick? My tiles are over 300mm in one direction so thick?

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
I am sure one of our lovely tilers can answer your questions :)

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, still in the planning stage. Making a shopping list at the moment.

Going back over everything I'm now a bit unsure about trowel size and type. My original thought was an 8mm square notched trowel would be OK but now I read that solid bed trowels should be used for wet areas. I was in any case going to back-butter but I'm a bit confused about trowels now.

And if a solid bed, do I need think or thick? My tiles are over 300mm in one direction so thick?

If the walls are relatively flat and true, using a 8mm notched trowel on the wall and back skimming the tiles, should be fine.

If you intend back buttering the tile e.g. Applying adhesive to the tile only, l would probably go with a 10mm notched trowel.
In any case you can test your preferred method by setting tile to wall, and remove to check adhesive coverage.

Hope this helps,

Reply to Newbie with a bathroom project in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer