Discuss newbie tiler after advice on prepping walls in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
hi, i'm a general handyman with not much tiling experience and currently doing my own bathroom.
i'm undecided wheather to tile it myself or get a pro in.

the walls are a combination of surfaces (see photo)
main wall is plasterboard with some holes i filled with bonding and a horizontal strip of wickes aqua-panel.
the stud wall on left has green plasterboard(skimmed plaster) and a verticle strip of basic white plasterboard(un-skimmed).
the stack and other bits are also aqua-panel(bare).

the blue colour is a grit sealer.

i haven't got the tiles yet and looking at medium sized ones.

i'm putting a shower on left side so should i be thinking of tanking some or all the walls ? or does it require more plastering and sealing etc ?

any suggestions welcome,
thanks very much
chris

bathroom walls.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
hi,
not sure what tiles yet but i'm also on a budget so i'm guessing ceramic ? tbh i'm just after simple small to medium sized tiles nothing fancy.
yes shower over bath on lhs.
going to tile the whole bath area full height and window wall to right. or if getting both walls skimmed then maybe just tile half way up window. (window corners / returns aren't very upright so new beads and a skim would straighten that wall up and make tiling easier if i tile myself or if a pro does it maybe can just use extra adhesive).
my idea is to start on lhs and see how i get on.
upon reading a few threads i'm thinking to tanking lhs or everything that needs tiling with Ardex WPC straight over what i have ? is that a good idea or should i skim over what i have and seal with acrilic sealer and or tanking too ?
regards

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello. Ceramic or porcelain tiles ? Shower above bath ?

hi ,
have found some tiles they are ceramic 300*200mm*8mm.
shower above bath on left hand side,
think i need around 120 tiles for bath area and 20-30 for window wall,
any advice please ,
using 3mm spacers and 1-2 mm spacer onto the bath means tiles nearly reach the ceiling.
not sure if i should plaster and or tank around the bath area and method of sealing etc.
also have seem some spacers that help get the tiles flat are they a good idea for novice ?
thank you.

Reply to newbie tiler after advice on prepping walls in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer