Discuss New to the forum hope your all ok in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Italy

Hi all thought I would just say hi as I’m new to the forum I am 29 and have been plumbing and Tiling since I left school. Really enjoy the tiling side to my career and hope a can share a few pics in the future with you guys. Love the forum u people have excellent knowledge and I hope I can learn a lot from you guys.
Was looking at @antonio pics of the marble look thin tile and was wondering how he achieved the finish on his mitred edges . Also what tools he uses cheers
Hello and welcome,
sorry but I did not understand, which photo?

Reaction score
BC092705-6E59-4F2D-BC60-4F0CB1F4413C.jpeg 9974995C-C327-4C20-865D-79C3E6F8095C.jpeg F7479F0E-8235-4146-81F8-8C908944CC22.jpeg 1E13AE6D-E9B0-40CF-A430-5BC6D0CC2CDA.jpeg 975E837D-CFE3-481C-AB22-9F056B91834D.jpeg 8471C6CF-BF55-4EBA-AF40-AEC821F539E0.jpeg

Reaction score
Hiya yeah I was looking at ur pics of the large format marble tile looks brilliant. Just wondered how you finished ur edges have you mitred them and polished them. Also what tools do you used to achieve such artwork

B

Blunt Tool

Hiya yeah I was looking at ur pics of the large format marble tile looks brilliant. Just wondered how you finished ur edges have you mitred them and polished them. Also what tools do you used to achieve such artwork
Dark arts, they say never to look in a mirror and say his name 3 times, dark arts I tell thee!

O

Old Mod

Hey Adrian, cheers Ian, :) I’m actually just watching Ronnie crush Graeme Dott for the 3rd match on the trot, mans on fire, he’s definitely after his 6th world title this year I think.
Anyway, yes Adrian, all my external angles are mitred and resin filled.
They’re all done with just a small Bosch 7-115 angle grinder, freehand.
Firstly undercut with a regular diamond blade, then polished back to the edge

25F0E740-64C2-4211-937A-192CD3763C72.jpeg

63AA9A76-9417-4D09-ADED-04261F7051CE.jpeg

Reaction score
Thought so I have never worked with thin tile something iv always wanted to do. What sort of resin do you use is it the same stuff granite fitters use and where can I get some might have a practice on some spare tiles. Always good to learn new techniques cheers.

O

Old Mod

Yes stone resin, anything like Tenax, Integra or Akemi.
There’s a number of places that sell it, nowhere in particular.
Just google them and you’ll find somewhere nearby I’m sure.

O

Old Mod

No I haven’t used the sigma jolly even tho I have their Keracut.
I’ve tried various mitre machines or equipment, but always gone back to freehand, I find it quicker and more consistent, but I know others who prefer mitre equipment.
It’s all a matter of personal preference, mitre work isn’t for everyone, I know plenty who just don’t enjoy it.

Reaction score
Iv bought some dry pads was going to practice the freehand method urs look faultless. I do a lot of skirtings with mitred external corners but just use my dewalt wet saw but it tends to blow right at the end do I have to buy a variable speed polisher. I might have a try with my viarable speed orbital sander for the time being

O

Old Mod

Must admit an orbital sander is not something I’ve tried Adrian, you’ll have to let us know how you go.
Wet saws don’t mitre very well in my experience.
Not saying they can’t, just not well, generally way too much movement in the blade as they’re so large, even DNA’s can struggle.
It’s purely practice and patience, that’s the only real way to achieve high quality mitres.
Or a water jet cutter if you have a company nearby.
But not all offer this service as the attachment required is £8k I believe.
It’ll be a lot of trial and error and tears til you find what works for you.

Reply to New to the forum hope your all ok in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks