Discuss new tiler / help needed in wet cutter choice in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Hoppy

TF
Reaction score
Hi, i`m looking to purchase a wet cutter for domestic / private work, i`ve looked at wet cutter forums but they go back to 2012 unless i`m looking in the wrong place, any upto date advice, i've heard the dewalt 2400 has problems with slight wobbly blade ? is this true, the sigma looks a beast but a little costly and a bit large to take in to a customers house, I was looking to spend around £400 but got drawn to the dewalt until I heard the wobble thing, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I've got a dewalt, amazing machine, never had a problem with wobble, and know a few people with them as well, no wobble problems. As long as you don't need it for the large format stuff, I'd say dewalt hands down is the one to go for in my Personal opinion

bsc ceramics

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Rubi nd200 good little cutter had mine for years but don't use it much these days
prefer the grinder. but it never let me down. good luck.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
None of the above could you use in a customer house.
I have a vitrex pro tile cutter and with good dust sheeting can be used in customers houses.....with a decent blade there great everyday cutters.

U

Unused Account 1

All about a good blade ,nd200 had mine ten year used every day as used good blades easy to cut

bolts

TF
Reaction score
I have a vitrex pro tile too, does the job and picked it up second hand for £110.00 so a bargain really, it had only been used for one job.
there's a ruby DU-200 on Gumtree now for £110.00 in portsmouth or a Vitrex in Walsall area for £100
No idea what part of the country you are in but hope it helps.

T

Time's Ran Out

IMG_0221.PNG
Is it this vitrex that you are meaning?
Bit small for stone work.

OP
H

Hoppy

TF
Reaction score
thanks gents, a few questions, which model vitrex, bridge saw or table saw, whats a good blade, are we talking dna(i have`nt got a clue), what is the footprint on a dewalt machine (not the stand) whats a good grinder & blade?
regarding the bridge saws and dewalt, as the blade cuts from above when cutting a corner out of a tile does this mean you have to finish cutting with snips or something, i've always used a table saw which cuts from underneath, basically my main stream was plastering but the demand is more tiling. also as for used items i live at the end of the world in swansea, thanks again.

J

JerryB

I'm not a tiler (just done 1st serious DIY job), but how about an engineer's view of blade wobble. I have the Vitrex pro 750 cutter as in Timeless John's photo above, for its quiet direct drive motor, larger than average table, quick release fence, and price. On 1st switching on, guess what, loads of wobble. It seems many would send it straight back, but a little investigation seemed easier. The blade's drive washer is clamped against a small shoulder on the drive shaft. We can be sure that the machining of the shaft will ensure the shoulder is exactly square to the shaft axis. But it is immediately obvious that the shoulder is too small (around 1.5mm I recall) to provide positive location of the washer. How much wobble you get is going to be down to luck. So 1st step was make sure there is no grit/gunge/rust on the shoulder or washer. Then pop the blade on and nip up finger tight and rotate by hand to check for wobble. If its too much slacken the nut, rotate the blade 1/8 of a turn relative to the shaft and try again. Keep going till you hit a "sweet spot". You may need to do similar with the drive washer. By this means I got total side-to-side wobble down to 1/10 mm - which is as close to zero as you could wish. Its all too random and a lot of hassle, but the blade did remain undisturbed for the whole job. A better shaft design is needed, no doubt more expensive, and I guess a lot of these cheaper machines will be similar in construction so I wasn't keen to look around further.

One other thing with this machine is its plastic chassis, to which the table and motor are independently bolted. There being no rigid machined cast metal connection between the two, it was not surprising to note that the plane of the blade was not perfectly aligned with the machined grooves in the table, so you need to allow for this when setting the fence.

J

JerryB

Just realised I should have replied to wrighty also. The knife is'nt thicker than my blade, but its close!. It needed very careful alignment with the blade when screwing it on. Despite this I was also caught out by jamming tiles. Thats when I discovered the mis-alignment between blade and table grooves, as my fence which I had so carefully aligned with the grooves, was pushing the tile in the wrong direction. I guess you all have your own way of using these machines but what I do is use a 1m straight edge placed lightly against the blade, align the tile's cut line with this, and then set the fence against the parallel side of the tile. Of course if there is no parallel side, you just have to have a steady hand...

Reaction score
Don't go for the nd200, I had one and it was the worst tile cutter i've bought. I've also got a dewalt, the blade does wobble now but I put it down to bending the blade too much trying to straighten the cutting line, it's still a great machine. I have just bought another Vitrex pro, they need a different blade in for cutting porcelain but ideal for in house.

OP
H

Hoppy

TF
Reaction score
SO : what size is the dewalt with the trays
had different views on the ruby nd200 ?
anybody like the husqvarna ts230 ?
whats a good blade for porcelain and ceramic tiles ? ATS, DNA, MARCRIST ?
ANY HELP WITH THE PREVIOUS QUESTION REGARDING THE DEWALT AND BRIDGE SAWS CUTTING FROM ABOVE.

CHEERS ALL....

Reaction score
The dewalt when setup is quite big, don't know exact size as only use it on big jobs. it all breaks down into carryable pieces and doesn't take long at all to set up, the only downside to the dewalt is that it could do with a bigger slide table, you can only cut 600mm tiles comfortably, as I said before Vitrex pro with a quality blade will suffice, Husky's are expensive and don't have any experience with them, not yet anyway!!!

G

GoneGuy

I've got a Rubi nd200, only problem I had with it was the spacers on the motor shaft got bent and made the blade wobble, all sorted now and cutting lovely.
Which ever machine you go for make sure you have a decent blade and don't force the tile into it and you will have a nice cut every time.
Ps when I'm set up in customers house I use a plastic tray underneath to catch any water running off the machine

OP
H

Hoppy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks gents, what about a decent blade ? Dna, ats or marcrist, i know the cost differs but is the dna worth the wonga, cheers
Any husky users out their ?

B

Blunt Tool

If it's the Rubi nd200 as I've got, the Rubi CPC blade has cut everything with no chipping that I've put thru it

Reply to new tiler / help needed in wet cutter choice in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer