Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss New screed down - trying to figure tiling out approach! in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

GrayD

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have read many posts over the past year as I have created and tiled a wet room and also created and tiled a bathroom in my house that we are renovating. I've also tiled our utility room too. Thanks for all the tips & tricks I learned!

So, I'm ok with tile walls and simple floors (they get better each time!) but I'm no expert by any stretch. I have all the relevant tools, etc but haven't ever tiled on a new screed floor.

So, here's the background: (bear with me!)

We had a wet UFH system (ProWarm) laid under a 45mm flow screed and the 45m2 floor has been down now since 29th March - nearly 7 weeks. UFH hasn't been turned on. The screed company that laid the floor had to change their material provider last minute because the other one messed up their schedule or something. I'm 90% sure the screed is not anhydrite but I am not 100% sure... There looks like there could be something that looks 'like' calcification on the surface but it's not all over and really only in a few patches here and there. I didn't order anhydrite but I can't be sure what's been laid. Here's the reason why...

The floor company who laid it down created a 4-5mm difference between two areas (thermal break between heated and non-heated floor areas) by not setting it out properly I guess but I only saw this after I trimmed the Celotex thermal break to floor level between the two areas.

They are refusing to deal with the issue so we have fell out now because to me they should sand back the higher area as they knew I was tile the whole floor across the thermal break. It's only a small area that's too high - 3m2 max so no big deal for them. The upshot is that they aren't coming back to me on whether the floor is or is not anhydrite.

So, I am going to treat it as if it is anhydrite just to be 100% sure we don't get a failure. I'm also going belt & braces on it because I don't want any issues at all.

What I am thinking is as follows, please do tell me if I am wrong, have chosen the wrong product(s) or there's anything I have missed or just not thought about - thanks!

Porcelain tiles on the floor:
1. prep the floor by getting rid of any points, etc and then sweep & hoover it
2. prime the floor a couple of times with Mapei Eco Prim Grip
3. lay down a Durabase CI membrane across the whole area - wall to wall and over thermal break -
4. use Mapei Kerquick https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (or better to use Kerakoll Biogel maybe?)
5. use Mapei Ultra Colour Plus grout

Seems so simple when I have written now (!) but I want to be certain I am going about this in the right way.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, appreciated.

Ps. any clues on how to stick down the Durbase would be appreciated too - Kerquick with Latext Plus? Not sure.

F

Flintstone

First thing, determine if the floor is cement or anhydrite. Post photos and take it from there, no point guessing !

H

hmtiling

Sand the screed so you can see aggregate. Commission the heating. Test for moisture and make sure it's below 75% relative humidity. Do this with heating off for 48hrs. Barrier prime. You can then fix matting and tiles with most c2's and all s1's. I'd use a rapid C2 suitable for ufh for the membrane then a standard s1 for the tiles. Good luck

OP
G

GrayD

TF
Reaction score
First thing, determine if the floor is cement or anhydrite. Post photos and take it from there, no point guessing !

Thanks for the reply. I have taken some pics just now, see what you think. Cheers.

IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG

OP
G

GrayD

TF
Reaction score
Sand the screed so you can see aggregate. Commission the heating. Test for moisture and make sure it's below 75% relative humidity. Do this with heating off for 48hrs. Barrier prime. You can then fix matting and tiles with most c2's and all s1's. I'd use a rapid C2 suitable for ufh for the membrane then a standard s1 for the tiles. Good luck

Appreciate the advice, thank you.

I'll look up some C2 and some S1 to use.

F

Flintstone

Can't be certain from those photos but it does have a hefty layer of laitance on there which needs removing

D

Dumbo

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have read many posts over the past year as I have created and tiled a wet room and also created and tiled a bathroom in my house that we are renovating. I've also tiled our utility room too. Thanks for all the tips & tricks I learned!

So, I'm ok with tile walls and simple floors (they get better each time!) but I'm no expert by any stretch. I have all the relevant tools, etc but haven't ever tiled on a new screed floor.

So, here's the background: (bear with me!)

We had a wet UFH system (ProWarm) laid under a 45mm flow screed and the 45m2 floor has been down now since 29th March - nearly 7 weeks. UFH hasn't been turned on. The screed company that laid the floor had to change their material provider last minute because the other one messed up their schedule or something. I'm 90% sure the screed is not anhydrite but I am not 100% sure... There looks like there could be something that looks 'like' calcification on the surface but it's not all over and really only in a few patches here and there. I didn't order anhydrite but I can't be sure what's been laid. Here's the reason why...

The floor company who laid it down created a 4-5mm difference between two areas (thermal break between heated and non-heated floor areas) by not setting it out properly I guess but I only saw this after I trimmed the Celotex thermal break to floor level between the two areas.

They are refusing to deal with the issue so we have fell out now because to me they should sand back the higher area as they knew I was tile the whole floor across the thermal break. It's only a small area that's too high - 3m2 max so no big deal for them. The upshot is that they aren't coming back to me on whether the floor is or is not anhydrite.

So, I am going to treat it as if it is anhydrite just to be 100% sure we don't get a failure. I'm also going belt & braces on it because I don't want any issues at all.

What I am thinking is as follows, please do tell me if I am wrong, have chosen the wrong product(s) or there's anything I have missed or just not thought about - thanks!

Porcelain tiles on the floor:
1. prep the floor by getting rid of any points, etc and then sweep & hoover it
2. prime the floor a couple of times with Mapei Eco Prim Grip
3. lay down a Durabase CI membrane across the whole area - wall to wall and over thermal break -
4. use Mapei Kerquick https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (or better to use Kerakoll Biogel maybe?)
5. use Mapei Ultra Colour Plus grout

Seems so simple when I have written now (!) but I want to be certain I am going about this in the right way.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, appreciated.

Ps. any clues on how to stick down the Durbase would be appreciated too - Kerquick with Latext Plus? Not sure.
Have you paid them .

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
I am thinking anhydrite. It just doesn't look the right colour for sand/cement and the surface seems to have a slight sheen. It also seems as flat as a billiard table. You can do a simple test with PH paper that will give an indication of the screed type and it should indicate green or purple but the best way to find out is from the people who supplied it (Humble pie?), and it won't matter which screed it is it can still be tiled but with different prep needed. HMTiling's advice is good.

I

Italy

mapei eco primer grip,
not appropriate, it is used to lay other tiles on top of the tiles.
you need a mapei primer like primer g or similar

Reaction score
Hi, If it was a flow screed the laitance should have and or will still have to be mechanically removed. To my knowledge there is no such thing as laitance free flow screeds, just reduced laitance. I would then use a suitable primer for flow screeds, (Gyvlon – Truflow – High Flow – Cem Flo, are just a few) they are variations on a theme really. You need to prime them well as they all react badly to water/damp. As you are rightly using a stress membrane I would use a quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ like Ardex AF200 plus to install the matting to the primed screed. After that you can pretty much treat it as a standard heated screed floor to be tiled, don't skimp on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, C2 S1 grade at a minimum.
Please please please cycle the floor up and down with the UFH to stabilise it and remove any remaining moisture before you install the membrane, as I say, these floors react badly with moisture especially when its trapped below the stress membrane.
You can find details of the cycle procedure online.
I hope it helps.
Pauly

H

hmtiling

Hi, If it was a flow screed the laitance should have and or will still have to be mechanically removed. To my knowledge there is no such thing as laitance free flow screeds, just reduced laitance. I would then use a suitable primer for flow screeds, (Gyvlon – Truflow – High Flow – Cem Flo, are just a few) they are variations on a theme really. You need to prime them well as they all react badly to water/damp. As you are rightly using a stress membrane I would use a quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ like Ardex AF200 plus to install the matting to the primed screed. After that you can pretty much treat it as a standard heated screed floor to be tiled, don't skimp on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, C2 S1 grade at a minimum.
Please please please cycle the floor up and down with the UFH to stabilise it and remove any remaining moisture before you install the membrane, as I say, these floors react badly with moisture especially when its trapped below the stress membrane.
You can find details of the cycle procedure online.
I hope it helps.
Pauly
If using ditra or durabase s1 would be the maximum not minimum

L

LM

Cheers Lee Mac. When you say 'honour the joint' can you tell me what you mean by this? I think I have a clue but just want to check! Thanks.
The joint between the two areas of floor must be continued upwards right through the membrane and tiles. Ideally but not critically you will able to set the tiles out so as a full tile falls on this joint and then instead of grouting this joint fill it instead with a colour matched silicone from the same brand as your grout.

Reply to New screed down - trying to figure tiling out approach! in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock