Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss New rotozip! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all

Just got a rotozip rz3. Anyone else got one that has any tips on using it?

Cheers

Tib

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Hope it works out for you.

If you ever get stuck for a special size (for example installing an LED light that requires absoulte accuracy) then we supply a full range of core drills. 37 Diamond Drill sizes from 6mm to 125mm

5.jpg

Example of why accuracy is critical for installing some items

14.jpg

The main set is below:

porsadrill_new.jpg

And still represents excellent value for money at:

valueformoney2.gif

For the best selling kit
kit2.jpg

We also recommend using a wet sponge to control dust exposure, cool the drills and extend their lifespan.

sponge4.jpg

And remember as a forum member you get discount too!

OP
T

Tiberius

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep it in mind as I intend to get rid of my rubi set which was nearly ÂŁ500 and whilst cuts fine,I find it hard to control along with the stand and resevoir full of water.

I guess the rotozip hasn't impressed too many as there's been no other replies!

Thanks again

Tib

OP
S

Stan001

i've used the rotozip and actually liked it. I also have a set of those porsadrills which I put in my variable speed mains powered Bosch drill (it can go real slow) and like them too. Now the thing is this, the rotozip cost about a ton and the bits are quite expensive so for the same capability (for drilling holes) you can buy yourself a decent quality drill (which has loads of uses) and a set of porsadrills! Now the porsadrills probably wont last as long as the rotozip Bosch cores but the Porsadrill cores are cheap enough to amortise into a customers job and you can afford to have a set of common sizes! Now on the other side the Rotozip does have an excellent set of router type tools which used with the cheap looking handle attachment do a great job at routing things like board! ... so ... if your prime focus is drilling holes then Id go buy a nice drill (which has many more uses than the Rotozip) and bung some Porsadrill cores in it (especially if you can charge them every now and again to a job), but if you like the router capability then Id go for the Rotozip.
just my opinions.
p.s.
... and to throw you another curve ball - i got a tip-off that a well known orange and black shed sells their own make copy of a rotozip at half price, same size chuck etc (to take Bosch bits) which i have yet to check out.
p.p.s
... and the service from 365drills is excellent, i needed drills fast for a quick bathroom job, got them pretty much overnight by paying more on the postage, got a quick private email from them letting me know they were being packed (cos I pinged them to ask) so didnt have the worry of chasing them! that means a lot to me. 365drills understand customer service.

OP
S

Stan001

... for tips on using it - get a load of scap tiles. You have to start the hole by going in on a 20% angle then straightening up then wiggling it around as you go through. (unlike the porsadrill which is a straight through using the template to stop you skidding when you start). I made a couple of snail marks when first using the rotozip but them could do it without skidding. (thats why i say get a load of scrap tile to practice). Another advantage you will find with your Rotozip is you can use them dry (you cant with the Porsadrills) which may be an advantage. For sure your zip will last forever, my drills are either Makita or Bosch, not had one blow on me yet. My variable speed drill is 20 years old and i use it for drilling at low speed through tile etc, and i also put a wisk on it and mix addy and grout. Its only a Bosch green so i should have killed it by now - but it doesnt even smoke (made in Switzerland!) ... bet you cant kill your zip either.

OP
G

gizzy2007

i got the rotozip in aug last year and 2 of them has broke first the one of the cuttin blades snapped and jamed in the chuck and the second time the button at the side jammed in they just swapped it no probs and a like it too maybe am just unlucky

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i bought a 2nd hand rotozip off one of the lads on here,,i like it personally its been a good tool for profiling awkward cuts but thats all ive used it for so far...so far so good:thumbsup:

OP
T

Tiberius

Hi

I never got rid of the rubi drill bits in the end but did get some 365 bits.

They've been great so far, however, have been using them on travertine and slate, so we'll see how they fair next week on some genesis porcelain!

The 65mm bit came with a guide which was brilliant for accurately cutting out 8 spots. They rubis were never accurate enough unless I made a jig out of backerboard or plasterboard.

Top product!!

Thanks for the advice.....

Tib

OP
S

simmy08

ive just thrown away my 2nd x core 6mm bit. came up against cermaiche keope full bodied porcelain's and lasted 10 cores. was not impressed as it does boldly state 100 holes. i have just bought myself the marcrist pg850 kit with 6mm bit. On the keope's it takes a very long time to get through, about 15 mins per hole and bottle and half of water. 5 bathrooms and they are all keope's so will see how it lasts.
Dont mind the waiting if the bits last a while.

I will continue to use the rotozip for ceramics only as it is worth its money for that alone and i will keep the marcrist for porcie's

have tried to adjust the water setting on the marcrist as i want a drip rather than a soaking but im at its lowest and there is still too much water for the small 6mm bit. Marcrist state that the water coming out around the core should be the colour of the tile, a little bit thick as to help the abrasion, thus resulting in extended life of bit and quicker cores

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

ive just thrown away my 2nd (Rotozip) x core 6mm bit. came up against cermaiche keope full bodied porcelain's and lasted 10 cores. was not impressed as it does boldly state 100 holes.

Have you tried the PORSASRILL 6mm diamond core drills?

kit6mm3.jpg

A pack of four 6mm-drills retails at ÂŁ29.99 (dont forget as a Tilers Forum Member you get your discount on top of that )

To use them we suggest holding a wet sponge on them.

tile_drill5.jpg

365Drills in action using the 6mm core drills.

drilling_tiles.jpg

The PORSADRILL system removes a CORE from the tile.

br5a.jpg

have tried to adjust the water setting on the marcrist as i want a drip rather than a soaking but im at its lowest and there is still too much water for the small 6mm bit.

With the PORSASRILL 6mm kit a sponge soaked in water eliminates dust exposure for the installer and increases the lifespan of the holesaw by cooling the drilling operation which in turn leads to faster drilling. Our own sponge is ideal because it is the correct size and shape so it will not obstruct your drilling. It retains a superior amount of water. And having a dedicated drilling sponge saves the hassle of using your tile grouting sponge and contaminating it with grit, dirt and diamonds. A great aid at a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:

andy8758

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have both Rotozip and Porsadrill bits. For cutting clean holes for pipes the Porsadrill is first class. For cutting those nasty odd curves (e.g. if you cut around toilet and sink plinth bases) the Rotozip is the tool to use. Both tool bits require care to get the best out of them. I burnt out my Porsadrill 16mm bit cutting through a hard floor tile - my fault probably for drilling too fast! The Rotozip bits are prone to breakage if you dont take care to drill in a sawing motion. Either way - not following the manufacturers guides is expensive!

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Nice bit of Feedback Andy. Send me by PM your address and we will send out a replacement 16mm as goodwill.

It might not arrive quickly because we are blocked out this week at the Gadget Show in Birmingham NEC.

I guess the message is really to read the instructions. With our kit the three golden rules are not to press too hard, to use some water and finally to drill slowly. That gets you the maximum lifespan per diamond core and holesaw. The main point is to keep the heat out of the core bit.
365drills_pack.jpg

All drilling is a wear and tare exercise but the steps you take to keep them cool will prolong the lifespan.

OP
M

mikethetile

Ive had a rotozip for a few years now , its one of the first bosch ones

handy bit of kit but bits pricey

I agree with stan, if you want it for drilling holes use a drill it will last longer

I use mine as a mini router and for freehand trimming work

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Oh yes I can see from the packaging that its all black and scorched....

115mm.jpg

10.jpg

You did use Evian pure spring bottled water I hope. Unless you use premium bottled water they wont work. Dont ever try tap water !!! :lol:

38.jpg

Failing that a bottle of white wine... (Dont use red wine to cool them only white wine works) :lol:

Reply to New rotozip! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock