Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss New posts button is too far to the right in the Forum Improvement Suggestions area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
is no longer easily on view on the main screen which was perfect place for it, you now have to go into a menue to find it! Any reason? That was the main button I used when logging on

Upvote 0
OP
F

Flintstone

can we allow shorter thread titles please I had to lengthen it to start the thread!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Public Thread!: Poor Tiling Workmanship by DIY and Rogue Traders - http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/public-thread-poor-tiling-workmanship-by-diy-and-rogue-traders.63897/

The new sticky thread.

I've unsticky'd all the threads that are now in that one.

The new posts button has moved over to the left for the forum tab and the home tab.

And no, the thread titles need to be long. We have too many threads with the same thread title and it's getting annoying. I've changed your thread title in this thread to something you could have written yourself.

I need you all to help make thread titles decent. Our forum is that old, and has that many threads, that they're starting to repeat themselves quite a bit and it's confusing various things including humans. lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There are too many buttons that aren't needed and generally too much going on it needs simplifying and making easier to use and people will probably spend more time on here as they don't need to mess about trying to navigate through it all. There's also that many forums that aren't used or needed either, some haven't had a post for years, just thin it all out I say!
What forums haven't had a post for years? lol You're just talking without looking around.

As you're a regular, you get more buttons and links and features. Newbies and those not-logged in don't get as many menu items.

It's all customised to suit the user. So it's not as easy as saying 'just change this and change that'. It has to meet the needs of the greater good.

The forums I'd get rid personally are the 'other trades' forums. Last posted in a few months ago. Not years ago though lol

OP
F

Flintstone

I posted that thread title as I did to make the point! I had to add to what i wanted to post.
The other trades forums are the main ones I was referring to, look in them, the plasterers forum has had 1 post once last April and that was a sponsor! I don't see why there needs to be a plastering and plastering course section on a tilers forum, or a kitchen fitting one either. Insurance for tilers is just another topic that could be posted in the tile forum.

Aus tile forum isn't used

Tile forum sponsors and sponsor info aren't used

OP
F

Flintstone

IMG_3254.PNG What's arcade? This is what it looks like on my iPhone

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted that thread title as I did to make the point! I had to add to what i wanted to post.
The other trades forums are the main ones I was referring to, look in them, the plasterers forum has had 1 post once last April and that was a sponsor! I don't see why there needs to be a plastering and plastering course section on a tilers forum, or a kitchen fitting one either. Insurance for tilers is just another topic that could be posted in the tile forum.

Aus tile forum isn't used

Tile forum sponsors and sponsor info aren't used

The aus and NZ tile forums are there mainly for SEO. The sponsors forum category I literally added yesterday. It isn't a forum. It's a page, and then links to sponsors. You can't post in there. The other trade forums are also mainly for SEO. We rank for those terms, then people register to chat tile. I can hide them from logged in users, but then that's kinda cheating a bit. They're down the bottom of the forum homepage for that reason really. And the insurance bit has been sectioned off as we now rank for tilers insurance and we're getting a few sales from people who aren't members. Which all helps fund the forums.

The forum has grown into what it is. A bit of a mammoth. I don't like adding more forum categories but when I do, there's usually a good reason behind it. Usually related to gaining more new traffic or making the forum easier to browse the forum categories that do get used. I'll have a chat with the mods to see what we can do about the categories not being used though. Perhaps we can shift a few.

OP
O

Old Mod

I need you all to help make thread titles decent. Our forum is that old, and has that many threads, that they're starting to repeat themselves quite a bit and it's confusing various things including humans. lol

Great another job on the list! :D:p

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 87869 What's arcade? This is what it looks like on my iPhone
It's an arcade games system with a few games in there. Used to get used quite a lot on the old forum but not on this. It's not 'responsive' so it doesn't fit iPhone screens. It also uses flash, so wont work on iDevices. I've disabled it.

I've also hidden a lot of the forums you've mentioned. So the ones left now should just be the main ones.

Take a look now see what you think.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just airing my thought dan, not trying to be a pain:D
Nah I appreciate it. Being so close to the development side of the forum can sometimes make you lose track of usability. I can not only find all the buttons and links that you guys look for. I've stuck them there. So know which page of code, and where in that code the link is, to change it's colour or move it around or make it say something else etc etc - So it's not fair for me to say "it's here" - as that's easy for me. It's the newbies we need to make it easier for I guess. Keep them on here.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Great another job on the list! :D:p
lol

I think it's a 20-od character minimum and only in the tile forum for now. I want to see what sort of responses we get.

The thread "tile trim" was a perfect example of a shyte thread title. We have 20-odd of those with the very same title. What would be better is "what tile trim is needed for this thickness tile" every now and again or whatever.

Reply to New posts button is too far to the right in the Forum Improvement Suggestions area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock