Discuss New member forum Advice in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

niaz1982

hi my name is Niaz and and I am new to the website. I'm in the process of doing up a family home to move my wife and kids into end of September.
I have a question which involves bathroom tile removal and prep. I've stripped out the bathroom myself removing all sanitary ware and have taken the tiles off the wall. I just need to remove high level wallpaper. Where I have removed tiles in some places the grout has been left behind. In other places the plaster has come away and gone back to the sand/cement render on the block work. I've rubbed this down with a wire brush so any loose chunks have come away but I am unsure if I should try to remove entirely? I sent pictures to the plasterer and he just said to get the green pva and apply it the day before he comes? I just want to make sure I have got it right prep wise for plastering out, skin then ready for tiling. Thanks for your advice.

IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1840.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1842.JPG

W

WetSaw

What tiles are you intending to use? The weight of the tile dictates the substrate required. Looking at how far you've stripped back already I'd be inclined to strip it all back to the block work and fix board to suit your tiles. That way you can ensure it's flat and square.

G

GoneGuy

As @pdc said in previous post, might be best to use A tile backer board to support the weight of the tiles.

And welcome to the forum

O

Old Mod

There's more off the wall than on it isn't there?
As Paul PDC above for me too.

Hi and welcome to the forum Niaz. H

D

Dumbo

In my experience most plasterers do not make a flat surface to tile to anyway . They just tend build it out and smooth to the touch not necessarily flat and definitely not plumb and square . So save your money and as above spend it on tile backer board to get it right and build a job that will last as long as you want it to

T

Time's Ran Out

As above - you don't need a plasterer.
Use a tile backer board and fix ( inc mechanical support) direct to prepared walls. Just tell him your tiles could be too heavy for skimmed plaster walls - 22kg maximum weight tolerance .

N

niaz1982

Hi there thanks for the replies, I was planning on using some bathstore tiles I've seen, they are 248 x 498mm not sure on thickness but they are ceramic. The plasterer I would get through work as we have them however we also have dryliners so I could get someone to tilebacker board it, just means I need to spend the next few evenings getting it all off. Seems to me that tilebacker board may be the best shout then, I was worried about the plasterer bonding it and plastering out and whether it would hold up. You all seem to agree tho on the way forward! Thanks for your help.

N

niaz1982

As above - you don't need a plasterer.
Use a tile backer board and fix ( inc mechanical support) direct to prepared walls. Just tell him your tiles could be too heavy for skimmed plaster walls - 22kg maximum weight tolerance .
Hi when you say prepared walls do you mean the block work?

N

niaz1982

Sorry one other thing I wasn't planning on taking it all off where the wallpaper is, I wanted to paint that around the window reveals and across 2 of the walls. Tiling was only to 1.40 metres remainder was to be paint. Should I still get that plastered or just take all off and screw fix moisture resistant board above the tile backer board? I could then just tape & joint this?

D

Dumbo

Dry liners probably won't have experience in fitting tile backer boards . It is a slightly different process using different sticking materials and mechanical fixings

N

niaz1982

Dry liners probably won't have experience in fitting tile backer boards . It is a slightly different process using different sticking materials and mechanical fixings
We do office fit out including toilet partitions and have done this before so not too worried about that I'm happy our guys are skilled enough it's just where the wallpaper is I have a feeling that is going to come away so whether to bond that out and skim or to hack it all off and put a mr board above the tile backer ?

D

Dumbo

I've done a few site new builds and have yet to see dry liners that have fitted tile backer board using tile adhesive and mechanical fixings . As regards your other question. Dry line and joint will give you a quicker drying time .

N

niaz1982

I've done a few site new builds and have yet to see dry liners that have fitted tile backer board using tile adhesive and mechanical fixings . As regards your other question. Dry line and joint will give you a quicker drying time .
Thanks jcrtiling - you haven't met this fixer

Reply to New member forum Advice in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks