Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss New guy, considering a change of career in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switching

Switching Member of Tilers Forums

Hi guys.
    I'm the new guy.

I'm on here to help me gain more insight into becoming a tiler. Bit of background, spent a fair bit of my life in the Forces. Now I'm out and doing a management position in a customer service role. And its a good job but it's sucking my soul from my body, slowly but surely.
    Always been a hands on type of lad and I am seeking a trade. Unfortunately I am in my thirties now and nobody hires apprentices at this age. That and I have a mortgage to pay.

So, I am considering doing a basic tiling course, then becoming a tiler as a 'side hustle' til I establish myself. Is this a worthy endeavour? I am a hard worker (especially when it's paying for my dinner) but are these types of week long intensive courses worth it? Do they make you competent?

Also, can anyone recommend me a course, ideally in Scotland. Be it a weekend long or weekends, not too bothered.

Thanks for having me

2. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Hello and welcome to tilersforums :)
    A few of the guys who know more about tiling courses will be along soon I'm sure to steer you in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Welcome to the forum and good luck

4. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Hi. I started when i was 31. I was in a senior sales role and earned decent money with the usual mortgage and kids etc. It was a tough first few years, learning as i earned, but i love what i do now. Great satisfaction and i still can pay that same mortgage. Perhaps more important, i get to spend more time with my family now too.
    I didn't go on any formal courses, other than BAL 1 and 2 day courses. They were brilliant. Don't overlook the training from the likes of BAL and Schluter, aswell as the paid-for courses!

• Like Like x 4
  5. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

6. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Well I didn't know that Mark!

Do you see how I cherry picked the shortest course to quote you on! :D;)

7. Switching

Thanks man. I am surprised that you for by with just a couple of days training!
    What is BAL?

8. 3_fall

9. Switching

Ah right, I take it they train you for a narrower field. I would be looking for a more generalised course, maybe with some stonework thrown in.
    Thanks for the reply.

10. 3_fall

Yeah look at the first link I posted to uk pro tiling,
    that'll be more of what you're looking for possibly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. antonio

antonio Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I at age 31 I was already in decline.
    I am now in a phase scrapping. ahaah
    I think it was wrong, the departure.

good luck and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  12. whitebeam

whitebeam Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Hi and welcome....

13. MissTiler

MissTiler TTA Tile Fixer of the year winner 2017 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member JOTM Winner

Some training centres do the resettlement training for ex Forces.
    Do at least a 4 week full time course to get the basics.