Discuss New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 51481

Hello tilers,

My name is Caley and I thought I would introduce myself to this forum that I stumbled upon having done some preliminary research. I really do the value
forums such as these as they are a fountain of knowledge and truly help inexperienced people such as myself from making mistakes, costly repairs and avoiding getting ripped off by nefarious characters.

I have just project managed two single storey extensions having only ever dabbled in light DIY and I've made a a few errors along the way but nothing insurmountable.

My current project is to lay a new floor in a kitchen diner, we're at 2nd fix stage so it wont be long until its flooring time!

One of the errors that I made was allowing the groundworker to take the floor levels off the wrong DPC so I have a new concrete base that is 40mm lower than that the existing floor make up of the house.

This has caused me a few nights of restlessness and I've been looking at various flooring options such as engineered wood and porcelain tiles and we have settled on the latter. My main concern is how to increase the floor height by 25-30mm in addition to the 10mm tile. The options I've looked at are screeds, self levelling compounds and thick bed adhesives and ultimately I'm looking at the pros and cons for these three options.

So that's where I'm at the moment and would welcome any advice at this stage.

Cheers
Caley

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome - as above you can use tile backer boards to build up to your required heights. Available in all thicknesses.
WORD FOR TODAY.
Nefarious - Wicked or morally bad.

F

Flintstone

Welcome, as above, a backer board is the best option here available in 20 or 30mm

B

Blunt Tool

Welcome as above backer board, personally I would use foam backer boards Schlüter, Wedi, Jackoboard, Marmox etc as it’s another layer of insulation ;)
My word is facetious meaning treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour

D

Deleted member 51481

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I wasn't even aware of backer boards yet they sound like a good alternative and a cost effective solution!

My initial question would be what if you need to achieve different height thresholds to match the existing internal floor in the existing house (40mm from concrete slab) and external bifolds door cill which ranges from 15mm to 25mm across the width of the doors which span 4 metres ?

O

Old Mod

If I’m reading this correct I’d say you’ve a job on your hands.
Are you Tiling existing areas?
It’s your slab that’s out of level to the Bi-folds I assume?
The doors are level but low, is that correct.

O

Old Mod

Some images of the new and existing areas and bi-folds would help I’d expect.
Preferably wide angled so that the areas can be put in to perspective.

D

Deleted member 51481

Here you go chaps

IMG_5097.JPG

Reply to New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks